Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to reach out to the collective wisdom of all you gear junkies. Just broke my cheap pliers and need to invest in a new pair. While I would love some Van Staal pliers that just isn’t something that would be fiscally responsible right now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair that won’t break in 3 months and doesn’t require pawning a kidney for?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Holy crap! I just looked d those up. $300+ for a pair of pliers?? Man, I love buying quality stuff but even if money was no object I would have a tough time dropping that much for pliers.
Sorry, can’t help with a suggestion. Mine are just an inexpensive SS set.

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
Get some OMEGA plias- they bad as...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
263 Posts
I've had Donmar titaniums for 7-8 years and am happy with them. They have a cheaper version now that I believe are the same thing but stainless and half the price. The Hatch pliers are really nice too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,161 Posts
I use Cabelas pliers and was given a Van Staal because my "pliers were crap". I used them until the day I found out they wouldn't open far enough to fit my gas cap and weren't long enough to reach a fly in a red's crushers. I went back to the Cabela's pliers.

Reactions: Fritz

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,373 Posts
I tend to use cheapo pliers like Rapala, Calcutta, Blacktip, etc. Anyone I can find on sale. I can’t keep a nice pair around since my kids use them and will leave them laying around. Same with my line nippers and zinger, el cheapos. About the only thing I will go cheap on though...

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
609 Posts
Want to reach out to the collective wisdom of all you gear junkies. Just broke my cheap pliers and need to invest in a new pair. While I would love some Van Staal pliers that just isn’t something that would be fiscally responsible right now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair that won’t break in 3 months and doesn’t require pawning a kidney for?
I see a fly rod in your hand, have you ever considered foreceps and nippers? I bought a cheap SS set for like $15 on amazon to use when wade fishing. Since I am not using crimps, cutting wire or digging a 4/0 circle hook out of a fish, I figured I would give it a shot. I obviously still have a pair of pliers, but they stay in my backpack for rigging conventional tackle on the boat/at home and rarely ever get wet. I have a $30 pair of SS Dancos for that.

Nippers are great because you can get a really precise cut on your tag end, especially when tying blood knots on your leaders. Foreceps are great as well because you can get a fly out of redfish crushers or the bottom of a bucket mouth snook and you wont destroy your fly doing it. I keep the nippers on a retractable clip attached to either a belt loop or a loop on my shirt. Then I clamp the foreceps to another belt loop or somehwere on my chest pack if wading. They weight pretty much nothing. I am sold. My next investment will be quality foreceps/nippers. I'm good with my $30 pliers. Just another option for you.

·
waterman 16
360 Posts
Don't splurge for the VS pliers unless you can keep them safe.... Unless you lose them, drop them over the side, or have them stolen, you will leave them to your kids. Kinda like a Tibor reel. I've had a pair for almost 20 years and have only replaced the cutters... once. Everyone that has responded here has valid points, pros/cons. Just my opinion. Very personal choice. Best,

·
Registered
7 Posts
H2O Express Fishing pliers or some just like it from another manufacturer. I think paid 20$ for a pair like this 10 years ago. I've changed the cutters once because they broke on a THICK gauge malin wire cut. Beyond that, they're great. They never rust, the cutters are great.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,605 Posts
Have owned several brands over the years, including Van Staal, Cabelas, Donmar. Now have a pair of discontinued Ross that I found on-line and keep a pair of Dancos for travel. The Van Staals are nice but pricey. The replacement cutter/anvil are outrageously expensive from the factory. The stainless Donmars work well and last forever. Don't have the side cutter, though, which I prefer to get a close cut. For the money, the Dancos are great, as United mentioned. Will cut light braid, are very light and well made for the price.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
152 Posts
https://www.gerbergear.com/Activity/FISH/Magniplier_31-003137

Ive been through a bunch of $20-$30 pliers that work great at first, but dont seem to last. Lost a pair of Hatch pliers into the creek- that was heartbreaking. Have been using the Gerbers for a few months now and really like them. Very comfortable in the hand and really like the jaws- slightly longer and narrower than most high end pliers, but still sturdy. A little more expensive than the throwaway made in china alternatives, but nowhere near what youll pay for the VS, abel, etc. I hear the warranty is good as well. Only thing i dont like so far is the junky sheath that comes with them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have the spongy ones with green foam handles that float, they work but perhaps not the best. I paddle fish a lot and they sit most of their day in the salty splash zone or on the floor in a puddle of salt water... they get rinsed with fresh water after every day out on the water and have not rusted yet. The main jaws are plastic and are a bit flimsy when trying to use them as a crescent wrench though.

Been looking at the Bubba pliers or Danco lately as a replacement.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input guys! I will look into the Gerbers, I have their knives and they have always treated me right. I also kept hearing Danco so will try to put my hands on a pair. Are the Dancos spring loaded? The website doesn’t really say (looking at Duffy).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
385 Posts
Danco seems like a really cool company AND everyone who I know that uses them swears by them. They're extremely reasonably priced, as well.

My now-discontinued blue Orvis Hydros pliers have been used and abused for 6 years and still look nearly brand new. If you see a used pair on eBay, you might consider them.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,605 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys! I will look into the Gerbers, I have their knives and they have always treated me right. I also kept hearing Danco so will try to put my hands on a pair. Are the Dancos spring loaded? The website doesn’t really say (looking at Duffy).
The Dancos I have are spring-loaded. Replacement cutter and anvil. Met one of the principals and they make private label pliers for other companies too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts