Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Fishing North end CBBT and concrete ships

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  VA-Gheenoe 
#1 ·
Considering fishing the CBBT sometime but nervous about the conditions around the bridge based on what I've seen when driving across it, what I've read, and what I've seen on YouTube. Southern Reels Fishing is one YouTube channel I've been watching and when he goes in his kayak, he's probably fishing when the wind/current is right.

I'm intrigued by the concrete ships at Kiptopeke, too.

I'm interested in sheepshead, flounder, drum, in that order, I guess.

Probably putting out at Wise Boat Ramp. (Kiptopeke for the ships)

I'm fishing in a Pathfinder 17T, 60hp Yamaha, old MotorGuide iller steer trolling motor. Fishing companion is my 12yo son.

Can the CBBT (between Fisherman's Island and Wise Pt) be fished safely with such a boat? Do I need bumpers to do this safely? I've seen guys throw ropes around the pilings ties to a life jacket (1Fish2Fish).

What are the best winds to do this from? I had one guy tell me SSW b/c of the protection of Fishermans Island, but I expected to hear N and NW.

Can you buy fiddler crabs anywhere?

See less See more
#5 ·
I've heard this said but never explained. Does it just create rougher unpredictable conditions?

I am local to this area and fish both areas quite a bit. I would advise against fishing the CBBT in that Pathfinder as well as tying off to the pilings. In addition to being pretty dangerous, it is also against the law and you will eventually get run off by the Marine Police. Concrete ships and many of those inlets north of there offer great fishing and the boat you have is perfect for em. Tight Lines.
Mark
I didn't know about the tying off - thanks for mentioning it.

Why "no" to the Pathfinder? Don't worry, I was leaning closer to the "no" side when I asked the question. I just figured if kayakers can do it in seemingly calm conditions, I should be able to find them, too.

I'll also mention that I'm still relatively new to boating and only wait for excellent conditions before fishing in my normal habitat.

Did it in some pretty rough wind vs tide conditions on my jon boat a few weeks ago. Tons of fun despite the wet journey. I might as well have swam. Nonetheless if it’s calm it’s a blast and you can catch so many different species. Croaker, spadefish, sharks, skate, cobia, sheepshead, reds, you name it.
Make sure your anchored well if it’s rough also.
"In a Jon boat", eh? Right on. Did you put out at the ramp up the ditch? (Wise Pt Ramp?). There are sheep and flounder up there, too.
"...if it's calm"..: It's a 2.5 hour drive minimum. Last thing I want is to misjudge the winds ahead of time. Though, there are other options, I guess. (Concrete ships, Kipto pier, The ditch, etc. "...ANCHOR"... I normally fish in water <8 feet deep. My anchor drop is often 4 feet!

I know this is very different to anything I'm accustomed to. I have never chartered a boat for anything before b/c I feel the price is too great for our budget. I'd rather just fish myself. However, if I want to experience this type of fishing and learn it, then maybe a charter is in order. Or find a friend willing to have me along.

#7 ·
I've heard this said but never explained. Does it just create rougher unpredictable conditions?

I didn't know about the tying off - thanks for mentioning it.

Why "no" to the Pathfinder? Don't worry, I was leaning closer to the "no" side when I asked the question. I just figured if kayakers can do it in seemingly calm conditions, I should be able to find them, too.

I'll also mention that I'm still relatively new to boating and only wait for excellent conditions before fishing in my normal habitat.

"In a Jon boat", eh? Right on. Did you put out at the ramp up the ditch? (Wise Pt Ramp?). There are sheep and flounder up there, too.
"...if it's calm"..: It's a 2.5 hour drive minimum. Last thing I want is to misjudge the winds ahead of time. Though, there are other options, I guess. (Concrete ships, Kipto pier, The ditch, etc. "...ANCHOR"... I normally fish in water <8 feet deep. My anchor drop is often 4 feet!

I know this is very different to anything I'm accustomed to. I have never chartered a boat for anything before b/c I feel the price is too great for our budget. I'd rather just fish myself. However, if I want to experience this type of fishing and learn it, then maybe a charter is in order. Or find a friend willing to have me along.
I've just seen the Bay go from 0 to 100 really quick....and when it does there really isn't any place to hide out. Regarding the Pathfinder 17', I am figuring it has pretty low gunnels and is more of a shallow water boat. I used to own a 21' Parker SE, then a Action Craft 2310 Coastal Bay and those were all good boats for the CBBT and surrounding areas, but I wouldn't take my 16' flats skiff out there...I've just seen the bay turn rough too quickly. Also, you can get Sheeps & Tog around the concrete ships, monster Reds, Rockfish, and flounder inside Fisherman's Island. There really are a ton of great tidal rivers both East and West of the CBBT that product great fishing. I just think from a safety standpoint there are a ton of options other than the CBBT. Also, the boat traffic around the CBBT is ridiculous in the summer and fall. You have morons in 30' boats trolling stretches in between the spans, through the pilings, parallel to the pilings. Which direction are you coming from?

#9 ·
I've just seen the Bay go from 0 to 100 really quick....and when it does there really isn't any place to hide out.

Regarding the Pathfinder 17', I am figuring it has pretty low gunnels and is more of a shallow water boat. I used to own a 21' Parker SE, then a Action Craft 2310 Coastal Bay and those were all good boats for the CBBT and surrounding areas, but I wouldn't take my 16' flats skiff out there...I've just seen the bay turn rough too quickly.

Also, you can get Sheeps & Tog around the concrete ships, monster Reds, Rockfish, and flounder inside Fisherman's Island. There really are a ton of great tidal rivers both East and West of the CBBT that product great fishing. I just think from a safety standpoint there are a ton of options other than the CBBT.
I appreciate the feedback (from all of you). Yeah, my boat has low gunnels. Little freeboard for sure.

By the way, my idea about this trip was to stay north of Fisherman's Island - between that and the north end of the bridge.

#3 ·
I am local to this area and fish both areas quite a bit. I would advise against fishing the CBBT in that Pathfinder as well as tying off to the pilings. In addition to being pretty dangerous, it is also against the law and you will eventually get run off by the Marine Police. Concrete ships and many of those inlets north of there offer great fishing and the boat you have is perfect for em. Tight Lines.
Mark

#4 ·
Did it in some pretty rough wind vs tide conditions on my jon boat a few weeks ago. Tons of fun despite the wet journey. I might as well have swam. Nonetheless if it’s calm it’s a blast and you can catch so many different species. Croaker, spadefish, sharks, skate, cobia, sheepshead, reds, you name it.
Make sure your anchored well if it’s rough also.

#11 ·
Fisherman's inlet can get nasty . I used to fish the concrete ships in my hobie kayak. You really need a kayak to be able to fish the inside alleys and areas. You can fish the perimeter in a boat, but you're constantly messing with the trolling motor to keep you off the ships and it's not worth the aggravation or potential damage IMO. I'd rather run up on the flats NE of the ramp and fish those protected bays and flats. You'll find a healthy population of gator trout, reds, and silver kings during the mid-late summer migration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.