Fishing journal?

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Hardluk81, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to start a fishing journal and was wondering the best way to go about it. Does anyone have a good app to use? I don't mind going the pen and paper route either because I don't want my data lost. The one question I have for going the old fashioned way is how do you file or sort through all the data to make it effective?

2. timogleason

timogleason I Love microskiff.com!

could use a calendar app and fill in pertinent details for that day. Was just thinking about that this AM.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.

3. CodyW

CodyW Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should start one and share it with me!

timogleason likes this.
  4. Ethan_W

Ethan_W Well-Known Member

Date, weather, area fished, species caught, what lures, flies, etc used. You can get more specific and detailed on each section if you'd like. I.e. Tide phase, water temp, etc. Compare your spots fished month to month or year to year. Getting any kind of data to compare just takes time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

5. Outearly

Outearly Well-Known Member

I use a paper log - an old notebook- and found that no matter how much data I captured, I only went back for the basics. What I go back and look for is mostly the time of year: When did those fish show up on that shoreline, when did the birds start working in that bay, when did the fish show up in that cove. I'm always surprised that my memory- and that of my fishing buddies- is so faulty when it comes to recalling when events happened. Sometimes we're way off, and the log has helped.

RunningOnEmpty and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  6. Copperspoonfly

Copperspoonfly Well-Known Member

I have kept a a fishing log for the last 4 years. It has made finding fish more predictable. I include moon phase, weather, water levels, tidal coefficient, wind and location & lures used. If you have an iphone you can set up a template in the pages app and you can add pictures, GPS locations in a few seconds.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  7. Financekid1

Financekid1 I Love microskiff.com!

I use an excel spreadsheet because it is easily searchable

8. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

I am using pen and paper as well as an APP. The app is flytomaps TX edition but they should have one for each coastal state. The app cost is like $5 and I feel worth every penny. The app is a nautical chart, sat overlay, tracks, pins, tides, currents, weather, camera and GPS all rolled into one easy to use app. I am able to drop pins and then add data to each pin. Same with the tracking, I can add data to my previous tracks.

tgjohnso likes this.
  9. EasternGlow

EasternGlow Well-Known Member

This.

10. mike.s

mike.s Well-Known Member

I use what's called fisherslog costs about $20 for lifetime. Got turned on to it when I was stationed up north doing the surf striper fishing. It does way more than I need but each person is different. Tides, moon phase, barometer, water quality etc..
    Just google it very easy to use. I have been using it since 2010.

11. timogleason

timogleason I Love microskiff.com!

Figures - you're the "finance kid" ;) - all kidding aside, excel would work great. As detailed as you would want it to be. I used to keep an excel ss for my studio schedule with all pertinent data.

12. Financekid1

Financekid1 I Love microskiff.com!

I created a macro similiar to that fisherslog program, but the downside to the fisherslog is that you cant query multiple data inputs at once.

I wanted to be able to put in multiple weather condition criteria such as a West wind at 8mph, low tide, and water temp at 68 degrees. The macro will run all of my logs and spit out logs that match as closely as possible to the criteria in descending order.

I can also search criteria such as water depth, which wasnt possible on fisherslog

tgjohnso, billeh and DBStoots like this.
  13. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice, thanks!

14. Copperspoonfly

This is an quick example of a fishing log that I make on my iphone using the pages app. The document is called classic newsletter. Once you save your template it takes a few seconds to import pictures from iphoto or GPS maps. The only thing left is to write up the report.
    [​IMG]

tgjohnso likes this.
  15. Copperspoonfly

This is cool old school fishing journal that someone posted on another forum.
    [​IMG]

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  16. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I use "Notes" on my iPhone. I track the relevant high and low tide times/height, moon phase and wind, weather synopsis, location with description and lure. I wouldn't bother with exact times. Just try to note approximately when the fish bit in relation to the tide.

Nate

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  17. Sylvia Olson

Sylvia Olson Active Member

Excel spreadsheet sounds good and using note on iPhone is also good idea.

18. tgjohnso

tgjohnso Well-Known Member

This is good until the Russians hack it and post all your spots on wikileaks.

19. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

I'm getting ready to try this as well. I figure a notebook would be best because electronics are unpredictable.

20. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

Would you attach a blank copy for us to check out?
    Regards,
    Jim