Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing in South Florida has a few hazards, skin cancer being prominent with such extreme sun exposure on the water... I am trying to keep as much of my face and body as intact as possible.

I have used lightweight hoodies from Ushood and like them because the hood fits tight like a gaiter and doesn't catch air while running at speed...also keeps my hat on. Many of the others I have seen/tried billow on the sides and catch air. I feel that my neck is protected better with these integral hoods than with a separate gaiter. Since we infrequently have cold weather, very lightweight or technical fabric is a plus.

Another brand which seems similar were the snikwah, but they appear to have gone out of business.

Are there any other brands which fit the bill? What are your favorites?
Thanks.
-rc-

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
253 Posts
I like my Underarmour hoodie a lot. Huk is pretty good too.

I like the center area in the back and under the arms. I find it more comfortable to wear the hoodie than short sleeve shirts etc. it helps cut the heat a lot for me. Wicks well too for the hot Chesapeake muggy summers.

·
Registered
2022 Evo
658 Posts
I like the Simms solarflex hoodie.

I've tried the Free Fly lightweight hoodie and had sun get through it.
Free fly has a few different models covering varying degrees of sun protection. Personally I LOVE the ultra light it’s so cool I have like 5 of them and got some for the entire family. They do run small or “fitted” so take that into consideration. For me it’s all about staying cool and comfortable with some sun protection. It’s damn hot down here in South Florida.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Free Fly has been my favorite by far. The poly performance shirts just get to hot for me. Free Fly bamboo is cooler and still dries quick. The hood is tight and crosses at the neck for good coverage. I like the skinny water culture hoodies for fall when it’s a little cooler and heat isn’t an issue.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'll second the Simms solorflex shirts and hoodies. The material is perfect to wear in the heat and doesn't get itchy. I ordered a few Aftco ones, but they are their heavier material and not comfy on 96 degree day.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,580 Posts
I love my hoodies, I have a few. When I’m driving my boat I pull my buff over my hat and it stays on. I also like to pull it over my hat and around my sun glasses to cut glare and spot fish

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
253 Posts
What fishing pants do you all like? I have been using the Huk pants for a few years and I like mine. Not sure what else is out there and what works well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts