Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish solo most of the time and looking for any tips best practice for sight fishing from the poling platform. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Reactions: Ray Fox and OED

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
When I'm solo and poling along - I set up my gear in the bow, ready to use then simply stake out (you do have tethers on each side of your platform that you can reach don't you?), ease on down from the platform, make my shots, then it's back up on the platform poling down the bank looking for my next shot...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I fish solo a lot too, and put a yeti up on the bow and fill with water to help even out the weight a little. Then I keep my fly rod in a stripping bucket with the line already stripped out in it next to me. I have one of these belt push pole holders and it helps a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIFFY-FLO...281959?hash=item2829669aa7:g:SjEAAOSwZQRYgOeO
I second this. Been using a pole mate for years and it's extremely helpful. Beats putting the pole between your legs. Not sure why it's $58 on eBay, I usually order it straight from the website and it's $38.

https://www.floridabackcountry.com/polemate/

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
When I’m solo, I usually pole from the front of my boat. Yes’m I lose some visibility but there is too much stuff in the back of the boat for the flyline to catch on.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
247 Posts
buy a yeti bucket and a line layer built for it from carbon marine. I do the same a lot. I keep the bucket between my feet when poling, with the rod standing up and ready.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,509 Posts
I pole from the nose of the boat when I am solo.

I also tend to stake out in likely locations and wait more than stalk around.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Been fishing some alone lately and used the Stiffy pole belt and the bucket strategy. works great. I have tried bow polling but do not like it much. I have used drifting strategy using the pole to correct direction occasionally. i do have two 55 lbs batteries on the bow and I do keep a full tank of gas. helps with balance. i will definitely bring the cooler and see if I can improve the balance some more (I am a big guy at 240lbs)

Reactions: dbrady784

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I fish solo pretty much exclusively. I do not like poling from the front at all. Currently I use a collapsible laundry basket for a stripping basket. I put it on the step up and tucked under the bottom of my poling platform. My rod stays in there with line stripped until it’s time to make a cast. When I see a fish I clip my push pole in the holder and grab my rod.

Not a perfect system but it puts fish in the boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
166 Posts
When by myself, I generally pole by standing a cooler on the front deck. I have a stripping bucket with notches cut into the edge to hold my fly rod pointing straight forward. I have a belt that I made from nylon webbing with one J-shaped push pole holder on each side. That way I can clip my pole into either side when I see a fish and then reach down and grab the fly rod. I also hit the remote for the Power Pole micro to stop my drift which has helped a lot.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
850 Posts
This is my current solution when fishing alone. I keep the TM and batteries up front with a full tank. Rod in basket ready to go. Push pole either stowed that way on in the holder dragging.
B5D45ED3-B580-4761-A68D-3E55A8776991.jpeg

·
Registered
473 Posts
Same ... but I keep a towel to lean the pole on the front to ensure I do not make any noise when putting the pole down. I also clip the pole to a holder on the belt to avoid making noise clipping it and bending

Reactions: Surffshr

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
I have a PP holder the has a pvc tail that goes into my rod tube on the polling platform. If i need to cast i clip the pole in there and it drags behind the boat

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fish solo most of the time and looking for any tips best practice for sight fishing from the poling platform. Thanks in advance.
When I fish solo I’m fishing off bow from a yeti cooler that I replaced my casting platform with. Generally fly fishing and did not loose too much on visiblity. When I have a fellow angler I fish lite spinning reel underhand from poling platform and switch off throughout the day. Great way to be versatile and enjoy both fly / conventional fishing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts