·
Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
273 Posts

·
Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
273 Posts
So the past two seasons I’ve been asking y’all questions and getting a lot of great info, I was able to finally put it together n get a bucket list bird! Next ones getting mounted!! View attachment 163938
If you don't care to mount it, there are some great breast feathers that are coveted by fly tyers!

·
Brandon, FL
12,308 Posts
Pretty cool. I’ve only seen one cinnamon shot. It landed in our deks with other teal right after shoot light. We had guy new to waterfowl hunting, first year, so we let him water swat them not knowing there was a cinnamon in the group. My buddy didn’t believe me when I told him what it was when I picked it up. That stringer was on the NWR page where we were for a few years.

Shity part is the guy who shot it killed a leucistic mallard earlier in the year... neither got mounted.
They are exceptionally pretty birds. In W TX you will get some as they are in the pacific flyway. The one I shot was in south central FL.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They are exceptionally pretty birds. In W TX you will get some as they are in the pacific flyway. The one I shot was in south central FL.
For sure. I have a buddy that went out to Cali for an internship. He said cinnamon were like blue wings here.
No its not. It is against federal law.
Please quote where shooting any waterfowl on the water or ground is against federal law.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thought I was going to post a congratulations to someone on this thread but apparently it's about ducks.

Have a cinnamon on the wall shot in Wharton County. As to woodies, friend of mine has a spot where for years we could take someone. Ten minutes after shooting time you would hear them calling as they came. Then it was pandemonium for five or ten minutes. Only went there once or twice a season. That sound was my favorite part. I quit shooting them and would just take people who wanted to shoot their first out there. Moved away. I'll have to ask my buddy if they still come in to that little winding slough. I'd like to hear that sound again.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Woodies are great eating, too. Probably the best. We'll shoot em when the mallards aren't flying. We have a ritual when we have woodies on the strap. When we get back from hunting, I start cooking breakfast while somebody else starts cleaning ducks. By the time I have the bacon done, they bring me the woodies. I cube them up, bread them, and pan fry them in the bacon grease. It's incredible. Ive tried mallards and other ducks the same way and it's not the same.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats! One of my absolute favorite birds.

We always joke about woodies being the “working mans” duck. The hunts are usually over 5-10 minutes after legal shooting light and can make it home, shower and still be clocked in by 8:00am

21 - 37 of 37 Posts