Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be visiting the Everglades for the first time the middle of February. Camping in Flamingo. We have a guide for one day but will be DIY for 3 other days. Just looking for any tips or fly recommendations. Would like to primarily target snook and tarpon of any size.

I am not looking for you to give me your spots. Just looking for tips and tricks to help get my wife and I on some fish.

Thank you for your help in advance.

· Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
6,642 Posts
When? I'm camping there with my son and some friends weekend of 15-17th. If you want to fish "out front" then I can tell you that you don't have to run far. draw a semi circle with the middle point at the outside ramp for less than a 1/2 mile and tons of fish can be caught. If you are going into the back country then that's a different story. Who did you book?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We should be there Feb 13-17. Thank you very much for the info.

We will spend time both out front and in the backcountry. We want to hopefully hook into juvi tarpon (those little things just look like a blast), snook, and if the weather works out a bonefish up in Biscayne hopefully.

· Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
6,642 Posts
So we'll be there the same time swing by our camp for warm beer and bad fishing tales. =) As for spots out front you could spend several days fishing from the sough drains to snake bite and out no further than Palm and Murray Keys.

· I Love microskiff.com!
241 Posts
Be sure to take the online course to get your boating permit before you go. It is now required to boat in the park. Also get a map of the pole and troll areas and channels and be aware of the times of high and low tides.

· I Love microskiff.com!
241 Posts
Take the free online course and print out the permit or put a photo of it on your phone. It's not a difficult course. Mostly common sense. I had mine laminated. The fee to get into the park is $20.00 and the fee to camp is about $23.00 a night. If over 65 or a disabled vet you can get a lifetime pass. It used to be free, but now costs $80.00 for a lifetime pass.

· Registered
117 Posts
Will be visiting the Everglades for the first time the middle of February. Camping in Flamingo. We have a guide for one day but will be DIY for 3 other days. Just looking for any tips or fly recommendations. Would like to primarily target snook and tarpon of any size.

I am not looking for you to give me your spots. Just looking for tips and tricks to help get my wife and I on some fish.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Never come back

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.