Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Nice start man. Don't listen to these guys they're just trying to ruin your new hobby buzz :).

I'll give you a quick little run down on a few items you're going to want to pick up next. I'll break it down into a tool category, and material category.

Tools: all of them, everything, if they have any ceramic, are precision made or Italian buy 2.

Materials: all of them, in every color and size, the rarer the better preferably endangered.

Next you're going to need a place to store all this stuff in a quiet comfortable environment, consider an addition to the house, inside that you're going to need a nice oak desk.

How's your credit??

Happy Tying!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have no idea how much money you’re about to spend! It starts with a simple clouser, then you change the colors, then you watch YouTube videos, and then I can’t tell you where it stops... As I haven’t made it there yet! Welcome to the rabbit hole
My son wanted to try one also.... His.. actually I like his. Hahaha IMG_20191107_213559654.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice start man. Don't listen to these guys they're just trying to ruin your new hobby buzz :).

I'll give you a quick little run down on a few items you're going to want to pick up next. I'll break it down into a tool category, and material category.

Tools: all of them, everything, if they have any ceramic, are precision made or Italian buy 2.

Materials: all of them, in every color and size, the rarer the better preferably endangered.

Next you're going to need a place to store all this stuff in a quiet comfortable environment, consider an addition to the house, inside that you're going to need a nice oak desk.

How's your credit??

Happy Tying!
I'll let the wife know we will be knocking out a wall.... Hahaha

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Your next step... go to your nearest fly shop, browse though their flies and buy one that’s simple enough to try to copy... Ask someone at the shop what materials were used to tie it, get them, then bring it all home and get busy... Remember that you’re not going to fish the fly you bought - since you need it as a guide. Your first efforts won’t look very good but with some effort and practice you’ll
improve....

At least that’s how I got started all those years ago. Be careful, it’s addictive...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
I'd fish both of them. That one your kid tied would be a good one for specks where I fish.

Reactions: Ccantwell

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd fish both of them. That one your kid tied would be a good one for specks where I fish.
I was quite impressed with his.. I hope he's able to get out and catch something on it soon...

- the nearest fly shops in either (opposite of course) direction are about 45 minutes -hopefully this weekend we can make a trip to one and pick some stuff up / out...

I'd love to see some favorite flies folks have tied and had luck with.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Your next step...
One step at a time :)
Supporting your local fly shop will pay a few dividends, especially in the beginning.
I've been to a few over the years and all had a staff that shared or supported my fascination of fly fishing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your next step... go to your nearest fly shop, browse though their flies and buy one that’s simple enough to try to copy... Ask someone at the shop what materials were used to tie it, get them, then bring it all home and get busy... Remember that you’re not going to fish the fly you bought - since you need it as a guide. Your first efforts won’t look very good but with some effort and practice you’ll
improve....

At least that’s how I got started all those years ago. Be careful, it’s addictive...
I agree completely with this. Three things that I see first timers struggle with (as well as some people who have tied for a while) is proportions, material density/sparseness, and thread control/too much thread.

Start simple with a few patterns and just the material for those patterns. After you get that handled, move on to another pattern.

Tie in multiples of 6 or so especially starting out. Tying in multiples is kinda like practicing over and over. If you tie two and move on to something else, it is hard to get consistent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
nice work, We all started on the ground floor. Keep at it, fish what you tie, make adjustments as you go. Wet it and see the profile...Sparse...Sparse...Sparse

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
You'll know you're in deep when the family cat or dog run from you when they see you coming towards them with scissors.:)
Made me laugh as I had a red headed girl friend in Tampa who let me cut a little of her hair for a streamer :)

Only caught a couple gar on it...
Maybe because she was a native Floridian? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Let your son tie the flies. Just put your order in and let him do it, you will have more time to do important stuff like fishing. That boy has a talent, so get him a vice, some fly materials, 5" sewing scissors and a bobbin and let him whip em out. Make him learn how to whip finish with his fingers. Once you get him started you probably won't even have to buy the materials. He can also help pay his way through college.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let your son tie the flies. Just put your order in and let him do it, you will have more time to do important stuff like fishing. That boy has a talent, so get him a vice, some fly materials, 5" sewing scissors and a bobbin and let him whip em out. Make him learn how to whip finish with his fingers. Once you get him started you probably won't even have to buy the materials. He can also help pay his way through college.
Hahah well being that he's 12 I might have to pay him some to keep him motivated but I'm ok with that...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts