Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As i have purchased my first boat i am realizing how much easier it makes grocery shopping. I now only have to get ramen noodles bread and peanut butter and jelly besides you can always take toilet paper from work.

So 9n that note as i am still trying to get this thing in the water i could use some help.

If anyone has any used stuff for sale or trade. That would be awesome . I work at a stihl dealer so i have that hook up. I currently only have 2 throwables 2 dock ropes and 2 fenders and a battery box. No anchor no lights no gauges or electronics

·
Brandon, FL
12,310 Posts
OK, here is your shopping list:

3-4 life jackets
Throwable device
Sound making device (whistle)
Dock lines
Stern and bow lights
Go fishing

You don't need gauges or a radio. You don't need fish finder because they are useless in 2 feet of water.

It is a skiff - fix that hole and get to using it. Then you will find out things to change. We can't tell you what to put on it because you will get hundreds of different ideas.

Safety equipment, tackle, full tank of gas and have fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, here is your shopping list:

3-4 life jackets
Throwable device
Sound making device (whistle)
Dock lines
Stern and bow lights
Go fishing

You don't need gauges or a radio. You don't need fish finder because they are useless in 2 feet of water.

It is a skiff - fix that hole and get to using it. Then you will find out things to change. We can't tell you what to put on it because you will get hundreds of different ideas.

Safety equipment, tackle, full tank of gas and have fun.
Any recommendation on a bilge pump size gph

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
121 Posts
Make sure you have the tools in your vehicle to change a tire on your trailer. I had a flat on mine and only then is when I realized I needed a low profile wrench to loosen the bolt on the spare due to it being too close to the keel. PITA lifting the front of the boat to be able to unscrew the spare

G

·
Make sure you have the tools in your vehicle to change a tire on your trailer. I had a flat on mine and only then is when I realized I needed a low profile wrench to loosen the bolt on the spare due to it being too close to the keel. PITA lifting the front of the boat to be able to unscrew the spare
I keep a cordless impact, charger, and inverter in my truck when doing any out of town trips! Makes road side tire changes so much nicer! That plus a few cribbing boards and small aluminum floor jack!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Rin
Speaking of tires. How do you guys deal with the salt water and everything rusting
Rinse it really well after each use and accept the fact that some of the hardware like leaf springs and brake lights are just going to have to be replaced with some regularity.

One of my buddies has an uncle that carries a hand sprayer like you'd use for weed killer on your lawn and keeps it filled with a weak detergent/water solution. When he drops the boat in the water, he walks around the trailer and sprays everything. I have never fished with him, so I don't really know if that works, does anyone here do this with their trailer?

·
Registered
252 Posts
By the way, those are great boats. My first skiff was a J16. It was super skinny and was easy to pole. One thing that I learned from fishing it over the years, when you come off of a plane and are heading to a flat, there will be a bunch of bubbles trapped under the bottom of the boat. I learned the hard way that if I got near tailing fish before getting rid of those bubbles, they would spook at the sound of all the bubbles gurgling up when I got on the platform and shifted the position of the hull in the water.

The solution is to just get back on the transom and clear them when you are still a ways from the fish.

Also, they are unsinkable, but if you fill them full of water, they are very prone to capsizing. Ask me how I know...

So definitely get that bilge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.