Fire ants

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cvilt, Apr 22, 2013.

1. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

I have an army of the little buggers moving into my back yard. Currently consuming about 300 sq. ft. and spreading quick One of our dogs cant keep out of them. Has any of you had success in ridding them. Memories of my childhood and a gas can keep flooding my mind but there has to be something that works

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

x2 Spread that stuff everwhere. You can also go get some liquid and spray the lawn after you spread. This will give a quick kill to the ones in the lawn and the amdro will get the rest that come out of the hole.

3. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Hey Pathfinder 15t,
    I was a pest control guy for 4 years. Here's a simple solution. Sprinkle white rice over the mounds and surrounding areas. They will eat it and after several hours they will die.
    If that doesn't work then go to the granular pesticides at lowes.

4. seachas

seachas THE HICK LIFE!!!!!!!!

5. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

-you need a match to go with it... [smiley=devil10.gif]

6. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

I normally use a granular first. Wait a week then use liquid/spray. Repeat once a month until gone then once every 3-4 months...

7. cvilt

I would have preferred gasoline but the wife was on it. She used spectracide granular and it appears to have worked. Our first run in at this house after 5 years I thought we would get lucky. I run into them at work daily. Thanks for the help :)

8. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

spectracide fire ant killer or Bayer complte insect killer(also kills fleas)

Problem is most people treat only once then wonder why it won't work. Constant apps over a 6 month period over the entire lawn should do it. Also ask your neighbors to apply as well because if you only treat your lawn it will be pointless. Turn off your irrigation after each app for 24 hrs. You can get a hand held spreader that will make quick work.

9. Rogersar24

Rogersar24 I Love microskiff.com!

Gasoline and fire or instant grits

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

For general reference, I will relate the results of my personal experience...

Boiling water....killed the top layers but not the queen, mound came back

Gasoline....mound abandoned, moved a few feet away and got bigger

Gasoline and match....killed the top layers, not the queen, mound abandoned
    tunneled under driveway and reappeared on other side

Spray pesticide....killed the top layers....mound shifted to unsprayed area

Grits, instant grits, rice, instant rice, baking powder....no effect, mound remained

Amdro....took several treatments, mound finally dies, multiple queens have to be killed
    fireants are adapting and now have multiple queens in a single mound, something new

11. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Amdro works like this,
    The worker ants eat the amdro (any thing as bait) the outer shell of the bait is sugar coated. The coating wears off and the chemical kills the ant. The queen ant will not eat anything that the other ants have eaten first. This protects the queen ant from chemicals.
    Grits and rice will swell up inside the worker ants and expand killing the ant.

If you use liquid chemicals mix it in 2, 5 gal (home depot buckets) and pour on the antmound. For better success dig into the mound to help the chemicals penitrate quickly into the mound.
    You can evn pound a stake into the ground and pull it out quickly to make a holein themound.

12. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

Oh mudd...

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh059

13. timj

timj Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have anything preventing this on your property but chickens will destroy the buggers. They will go nuts eating those ants and repay you with eggs. If you are allowed to have them see if you can find someone willing to work with you to borrow them and you will provide them some free grazing area for a short time while they desimate the colony and leave behind fertilizer all over your yard to regreen it the best part is no nasty chemicals spread on your property.
    otherwise:
    someone to stream treat the colony cooking it or resort to amdro

14. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Thats a cool idea. Watchen those chickens eat them up, drinkin a beer, @ bar-b-q-n. COOL!!!

15. cvilt

I would like chickens but two things against me are memories of walking fields chasing pheasant that were fertilized with chicken poop man that stuff stinks the other is the HOA. SO far the treatment has worked now to keep them on the run. They did loose a few queens

16. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

i got one of these...
    [​IMG]

17. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

Borax directly on the mounds -- it wrks on a lot of different critters

18. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Anytide,
    That looks like my ex girl-friend.