Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

Long story short got the fly fish bug years ago but had to put on hold due to going away for school. Back in Florida and done with school. looking to purchase a quality combo for redfishing/bonefish/trout and snook.

Looking at the tibor Everglades but what rod will perform and balance well with that setup. Will be fly fishing mostly off the bow in the forgotten coast region and looking forward to trips to Louisiana and biscayne bay for the bones.

Some that I had in mind:

Scott meridian
Sage HD or Sage igniter
Orvis Helios 3D.

Thank you for the help. Look forward to getting back to it!

· Registered
49 Posts
Congrats on finishing school! Fly rod actions are such a subjective thing in some ways...so definitely try before you buy. With that said, I'm nuts about my Meridians...love em. To me, they are the perfect balance of power and feel...and feel very light in the hand and accurate. A coworker of mine bought a Sage Salt HD last year and let me try it out back in the lawn one afternoon...not my cup of tea at all- felt like a club after my Meridian. Just this past week I had a chance to try both the 3D and the 3F from Orvis. Surprisingly, I actually preferred the 3F...that is an amazing rod! Reminded me of my Meridian- very accurate, effortless tight loops and light swing weight. By the way, all rods discussed here were 4 piece 9' 8 weights. Many good rods out there (including T&T's Exocett), but my favorite top two 8's now are Scott Meridian and Orvis 3F.
Enjoy test casting...it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. :)

· I Love microskiff.com!
3,733 Posts
I cast the Sage Salt and Loomis NRX side by side and finally chose the NRX for my Everglade.

Go to a shop...cast the rods and compare them against each other.

· Registered
339 Posts
Helios 3D and Everglades 8wt

Enough said ;)

· Registered
1,314 Posts
If you have some buddies that fly fish check out their gear. Throw different rods with different lines etc. landing a fish on a particular rod as well will tell you how much “backbone” you like. Finding out what kind of action you like in a rod give a good starting point.

· I Love microskiff.com!
3,733 Posts
FYI...finally got a chance to throw one of the Loop saltwater 8wts after a buddy won it in a raffle and I really, really liked that rod as well. I'd love to add it to my NRX as a wading rod since it really seems to be able to carry line. I guess because its designed for alot of those european guys who fish exotic locations on foot for GTs, bones, etc. I don't think they see much skiff use here in the states so we don't know much about them...

· Registered
950 Posts
don't forget about the T&T Exocett. a little faster tip than the meridian, and better feel than the three on your list. close your eyes when you try them out. which one can you feel and know exactly what the rod is doing in your cast?

· I Love microskiff.com!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried them all. Best for me was what’s pictured below. Now to find the barrel with fish in it. :). Thanks again for the help fellas and the the flies from lowtidefly.

Attachments

· Registered
44 Posts
Love my Helios 9wt 3d and Hatch 7+. I have throw a lot of rods and it's perfect for me. As always if you can try multiple rods before deciding on one that's your best action. Some rods are too fast for some and two slow for others. For example the NRX is a great rod but a little slow for me.

Best of luck on your new setup!

G

·
I’ve used the Everglades/ Scott combo for years - and years! Always serves me well. But as others have said, go cast a few to see what feels right to you.

You might want to test out the Sage Ignitor in a 7 wt. lots of backbone and casts like a magic wand!

Recreational fishing Hand Fishing rod Recreation Stock photography

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.