Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend and I spent a day with @sjrobin. Originally, it was supposed to be a weekday, but a front was blowing through with 30 plus mph winds. That same front did knock what had been crazy high tides back down to something more normal. We met at the ramp around 0730, got rods and gear situated, shot the breeze a little and then launched the HB Pro around 0800. Morning temps were in the high 40s low 50s I'm guessing which made for a chilly skiff ride, but completely glassed out.

Steve poked the skiff into the first spot, but the water hadn't had a chance to clear up after the thrashing it took Friday and Saturday. We stayed there about ten minutes and then off to the next spot. My friend Scott told me to get on the bow first, so I obliged. The water here was kind of cloudy, but with ample sun and zero wind, it was totally doable. With Steve on the pole, we were seeing fish within the first 5 minutes and it would continue for the next several hours. I was so dang rusty from a my LONG hiatus, but it started to come back to me and Steve didn't chunk a thermos or anything at me.

All in all a stellar day to be alive. No monsters came to hand, but we did scratch out a couple of upper slot fish. Scott missed a really nice fish I'm estimating to be around 35" or so. I had a funny thing happen. Steve pointed the bow directly at a red about 25 ft away. I made the cast, saw him eat, set the hook and then he was off. The red stayed there and Steve and I saw some shrimp popping up around him. So I cast to him again. Felt and saw him eat, set the hook and then nothing. This went on literally 4-5 times. Steve said "do you still have a hook on that fly?" The fish eventually swam off and upon inspection of my fly, it had gotten wrapped around the leader somehow. So yeah, the fish was eating, but the point of the hook was pointing the wrong way, so I was just pulling the fly out of his mouth every time lmao.

Slicked out

58B471FE-2EC7-4765-966E-F7E66A6A525B.jpeg

My best fish of the day
899734DA-9C03-4787-AC66-A106AAC67064.jpeg

Scott hooked up
C53A06FB-D354-4AB6-9BBF-C143A749D38C.jpeg

D3F257F7-05CB-41FC-A61D-32E389D7B872.jpeg

Steve's setup is sweet. Zero torque on the 60 tiller and his vantage point whilst running is second to none.
4A4AE0F1-A245-4C5F-BB9C-BD56D85FC9C5.jpeg

I LOVE casting to sheepies
3E6BACE7-38C2-4D8E-AAE8-6C8C1ED52971.jpeg

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a great day on the water, love this time of year! Congrats.
Yep. It’s not lost on me that this time of year makes me a better fisherman lol.

Reactions: backcast
1 - 5 of 5 Posts