Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time coming but I've finally joined the skiff community (not quite micro with the 115 hanging on the back ).

This is my new-to-me 1988 Mangrove 17. It is one of the limited number of boats produced by Bob Erra in the late 80s. I am the 4th owner. It was originally built for a guide in the keys, unfortunately I don't know who exactly. I the early 90s it was purchased by a gentleman in south Miami and primarily used for lobstering, go figure.

In 2009, the second owner had the whole boat redone and repowered at Islamorada boat center (or at least the repower). The boat originally ran a Yamaha 70 2-stroke and is now powered by a 2009 Yamaha F115 four stroke with 246 hours. Yes, it flies lol. He also had Latham throttle controls and gear box put in, which are pretty cool I might add.

So on to it's 3rd owner, whom I just purchased it from. It's spent its last 6 years roaming around the upper Indian and Banana rivers with a very nice guy named Mike. Mike enjoys fly fishing primarily and added a 22' Stiffy Hybrid push pole to the boat and V marine holders.

And now to me, the happy 4th owner. It's only been in my possession a few hours but my mind is already flooded with ideas, and the $$ values associated lol... Enough yammering, here's the boat!

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Side bar....I've been told that the rights to the company and the hull molds may have been purchased from Bob Erra's estate with the intention of reviving the brand.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
That's a beautiful skiff and looks like new. Trailer looks like a nice fit. I am trying to grasp the weight difference from a 70 2 stroke to a 115 4 stroke though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Trailer is custom fit to the boat. When I found out it was originally powered with a 70 I was a little dumbfounded as well. During the wet test this morning, I was shocked at how little stern squat there was even with two guys sitting in the back. That said it has a full tank of gas, 25 gallons, and that's under the front deck...that said, should I ever repower in the future, I'd probably go down to a 90

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,515 Posts
Call Capt John Kipp in the Keys and he may be able to tell you the original owner.
The side console, Latham controls, and 115 power reminds me of Flip's new Marquesa.
Should be a blast to drive. Congrats.
I caught many a Bonefish out of Kipps Mangrove back in the 1990s...I remember the logo sticker said it was Airex Cored. We used to launch at Bobbies house on Islamorada while he was in the joint.

Kipp should def. be able to give you the lowdown on those few Mangroves that were built. Very versatile skiff for sure....good luck!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the kind words everyone. She went on her 4th maiden voyage this morning, even with the 15+ mph winds. Pushed it up to just about 39mph straight into a 2' chop and it was bone dry! ok not bone dry, but performed extremely well given the circumstances.

Poles very well for a boat of its size, evidently was purpose built. Wind made it an adventure at times but kept it at our back as much as possible. With 2 guys both over 200lbs, ~23ish gallons of gas, and that big ole 115 it was bottoming out in 8-9". This was just our guess based on sticking a rod tip in the water so I'll have to bring a ruler out one day.

Oh yeah, no slime on deck.. several really good shots at fish in gin clear water, had a few turn and follow but no takers. Great morning on the water either way!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does look a bit like the silver king boats, but to my knowledge and from what I've been told, they were their own unique molds.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Capt Kipp, but I was able to get in touch with Chris Morejohn. He briefly mentions Bob Erra and Mangrove in one of his blog posts.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
23 Posts
You found a unicorn my friend!! Very nice!!
Those hulls were way ahead of their time very advanced construction back in the 80's also very expensive. I remember John Kipp in the Keys, and Dickie Williams on the west coast guided out of one. The most memorable one was owned by Carlos Solis in Miami and was featured in Florida Sportsman mag dreamboat article, I think it was late 80's.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,927 Posts
Been a long time coming but I've finally joined the skiff community (not quite micro with the 115 hanging on the back ). I like this boat better than the new hulls, shipoke style console, great hatches, nice chines, little vee.

This is my new-to-me 1988 Mangrove 17. It is one of the limited number of boats produced by Bob Erra in the late 80s. I am the 4th owner. It was originally built for a guide in the keys, unfortunately I don't know who exactly. I the early 90s it was purchased by a gentleman in south Miami and primarily used for lobstering, go figure.

In 2009, the second owner had the whole boat redone and repowered at Islamorada boat center (or at least the repower). The boat originally ran a Yamaha 70 2-stroke and is now powered by a 2009 Yamaha F115 four stroke with 246 hours. Yes, it flies lol. He also had Latham throttle controls and gear box put in, which are pretty cool I might add.

So on to it's 3rd owner, whom I just purchased it from. It's spent its last 6 years roaming around the upper Indian and Banana rivers with a very nice guy named Mike. Mike enjoys fly fishing primarily and added a 22' Stiffy Hybrid push pole to the boat and V marine holders.

And now to me, the happy 4th owner. It's only been in my possession a few hours but my mind is already flooded with ideas, and the $$ values associated lol... Enough yammering, here's the boat!
Like the hull, early versions of Florida Sportsman had the advertisements. Also like the removable panel in the front casting platform for gas tank removal...

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,276 Posts
Yeah like Frank said, that boat was way ahead of it's time. I personally love the lines, the extra free board, the roominess, the simplicity of the design and the bottom. Looks like a great all around dry riding boat.

You guys are right. The hull sorta has that Silver King look, which has always been one of my personal favorites! I love the deck and the simple console too.

If you decide to sell it one day, do it here on microskiff. You'll have plenty here to raise their hand for it. If someone made a mold of it, both hull and top cap, I'd be getting in the truck and making a road trip to take a hard look at it.

Ted Haas

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
something pretty cool happened today...thanks to Frank's mention of the FS article, I was able to track down the article itself with help from one of the FS editors. I've got pictures of the article I'll be posting here a little later :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts