Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used either one of these over the last few seasons? I’m curious to see how they’ve held up. On line customer reviews look pretty good. Alan Hawk rated the 100 very high, but it sounds like that one is a different beast.

Thx

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,289 Posts
I have a 60, decent drag and I like the sound of the drag but not a great reel for walking the beach where the chance of it getting heavy salt spray or a possible light dunking. First time it got splashed it was really nasty and chunky grease inside where as my shimano Sedona 6000 has seen the same use without needing a cleaning.

The fin is also a good bit heavier. I personally would go shimano. Also had good luck with a diawa revros.

Granted I don’t use these everyday since I’m mostly throwing flies.

·
Registered
854 Posts
So i buy shimano for 2 reasons.
1: parts
2: service
Theres nothing like sending your reels in and they say “well were sending you 2 new ones”
Parts are available And the service is the bees knees. Buy once cry once .
$35 a reel for service and its either new or feels like new when it comes back

·
Registered
2021 Hell’s Bay Marquesa being built, 2013 Hell’s Bay Marquesa sold, 2017 Ankona Shadowcast 18
115 Posts
I had some for clients and I found they were prone to getting birds nest tangles due to the line laying on top of the spool unless someone was real careful when they flipped the bail and began to retrieve that’s when it would happen. My Diawa Procyon’s have not suffered from this problem at all so obviously a better design.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So i buy shimano for 2 reasons.
1: parts
2: service
Theres nothing like sending your reels in and they say “well were sending you 2 new ones”
Parts are available And the service is the bees knees. Buy once cry once .
$35 a reel for service and its either new or feels like new when it comes back
I have always been a strict shimano fan, but their warranty is changing. They just opened a new shimano reel service center in South Carolina, and even if you ship your reels to Cali they will forward them to South Carolina. I was shocked when someone in sc claimed to have my reels and that none of them were in serviceable condition.. I was quoted almost full price for replacements, and the lead tech claimed none were able to be fixed (Saragosa 6000 only had a bad roller bearing). I think the good old days of shimano are done or at least that was my most recent experience

·
I Love microskiff.com!
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s interesting as I’m in SC. I’ve been a Shimano guy (mostly) for years but recent online chatter seems to be that their quality has gone downhill. Not to mention their current spinning reels at this price point are just butt ugly. Cause you know THAT makes a difference. The Lethal caught my eye since it’s similar to the Cabo and they are now owned by Zebco. I have a 1st gen Cabo 40 that has been a beast. Had it 12-13? years and its still one of my favorite reels. I may have to just step up a bit and buy a new Cabo 40 or try a Smoke 30. Wish they made the Cabo in a 30.

I bought a new Diawa BG 2500 last fall but haven’t caught much on it yet so the jury is still out. Nice looking but the drag clicker sounds way cheap. Like the first good run will bust if off.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
The only outfits that do have a parts system in place are Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, and Quantum... Quantum is the only outfit still made in the USA...

The problem with Shimano is that older reels aren’t supported... so you could have an expensive reel -that you might not be able to get parts for... (try to find a handle for a Stradic 4000FH...).

·
Registered
1989 High Tide, 35 Mercury
14 Posts
I like my lethal 40. I always rinse my reel off and I've never seen corrosion. I also have Penns and Shimanos. The lethal is a solid reel. The drag clicker is the only part I dislike; it is barely audible. I'd buy a Penn over it though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.