Fin & Feather Helm Rigging

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Jigalode, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Jigalode

Jigalode Stay On Point

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Fin & Feather from a fellow member and I'm in the process of re-doing a few things.

One of the things on my list is rewiring the center console. Many Fin & Feathers that I have seen with a center console (including the one I just purchased) have all the helm rigging above deck.

The Fin & Feather has a small sub floor space below deck that I would try to run the cables from the center console to the rear compartment but I have a few reservations. Has anybody been able to do this?

I'm concerned it could be filled with foam thus, making it difficult/nearly impossible to run wiring through, and if it's not filled with foam, I'm also concerned with water getting in there and not being able to drain out.

I will post some detailed photos soon.

Any input is appreciated.

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

If I'm not mistaken, the area that you wish to run the rigging is foam filled. I never liked the look of the rigging cover on the floor but I chose to leave it alone for reasons I cannot remember..

3. Jigalode

Jigalode Stay On Point

That's what I was afraid of. I really don't like the rigging cover on the floor and would love to find an alternative to rigging a center console.

If it comes down to it, any idea where I can find a new rigging cover? :mad:

4. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

My cover was all jacked up too and shy of making a mold out of the old one, it's something you will never find. You could always open up a window under the cover in the floor. Then just cut back enough foam to sit flush under the deck and into the console. May be worth a shot..

5. Jigalode

Jigalode Stay On Point

The thing is the boat didn't come with the cover. I've contacted the people over at Carolina Skiff because I know they make a similar cover for their center console J16's.

If you look on this page, you'll see the "deck track" which is what I would need:

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/dlx-kit.html

Let's see what they want to charge me for it. Seems they sell it in 8 ft. pieces, although I would only need about 3 ft. at most. Maybe they have some scrap pieces laying around.

6. Kapphanz

Kapphanz I Love microskiff.com!

First, an addition, I used conduit to run the wires from front to back to house the wires and laid it right down the side of the floor. It is totally out of the way and barely noticeable. But, that doesn't help you out with hiding the steering cable or the wires coming out of the side of your console.