Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Fin and Feather in the for sale section, the hull looks very much like a Towee. Almost like it was the inspiration for the Calusa. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Anyone ridden/driven both?

Are they all composite construction?

Thx

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Nah, I'm pretty sure Towee's skiffs owe their lineage to Scott canoe "deep duck boat", though I am am believing the Towee hull has seen some design changes as would be expected re: chines, transom, etc. (My sources here are conversation with Todd from Towee, also corroborated on this thread: https://www.microskiff.com/threads/scott-canoe-deep-duck-boat-vs-towee.53672/)

I have no knowledge re: the fin&feather origins or construction and haven't seen one in person. From looking at it, my judgement is it has lower freeboard than the calusa, which could affect wetness of ride and also degree to which it catches wind on the pole. There are enough reviews of Towee's on here so I won't repeat mine.

Unsolicited advice is that if you have a preference between the two, you wait for what you want.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
256 Posts
I have a Scott, it’s the same hull as the Towee but they improved the lay up, core, etc. I can see the similarities with the Fin & Feather. There is nothing new when it comes to hulls in this range - it’s just details. My boat is remarkably stable but the “tackle trays” keep you in the center of the boat. I think the reverse chines help as well. I’ve seen the bottom of a Fin & Feather but can’t remember if they have that wide reverse chine flat. It’s a nice hull, if the price is right, buy it.

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,538 Posts
No experience with a Towee, but I did own a 96 F&F years ago. Excuse my French, but they ride like s#*t. Possibly one of the worst I’ve ever owned. You’d be better off with a Gheenoe LT or Classic honestly...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good information.

Not looking to buy right now, but down the road could see adding a used Towee as a project boat. Just thought if they were basically the same hull, a old F and F might be a cheaper alternative.

Very curious to check out a Towee in person. Love the lines but Trekker is right. Seems like crazy money for what it is.

Thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts