Filling holes in transom

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by BigAlPachecko, Jun 28, 2009.

  1. BigAlPachecko

    BigAlPachecko Well-Known Member

    Stupid question but need to get it right:
    I finally decided that the new hurdles created by adding a jackplate  flew in the face of the Keep-It-Simple-Stupid commitment I made when buying my 13' gheenoe for next to nothing. So now I've decided to just get rid of the BMS jackplate; my setup was most fun when it was kept simple. The trouble is, I want to make sure the little holes left in the transom from where the JP was bolted on are filled in correctly. So: just 5200, right? Nothing else? Just want to make sure I do it right.
  2. kuzus

    kuzus 800-272-7890

    I would use an epoxy putty, like Superbond. If you are refering in 3M 5200, by "5500", then that will work for small holes.

  3. BigAlPachecko

    BigAlPachecko Well-Known Member

    It was a typo. Thanks for your response. Just standard bolt holes (1/4"?)
  4. tom_in_orl

    tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

    Use a material like silicone, 4200, or 5200. That is the advice I got from Custom Gheenoe. Reason is that it needs to expand and contract with the hull as it heats, cools and flexes. If you were to use a solid object like dowel it would develop a leak and you would get water intrusion.
  5. B.Lee

    B.Lee Well-Known Member

    5200 will work just fine. you could get very technical with it, but the end result will be the same. You just want to keep the water out.
  6. JIMMYZ750

    JIMMYZ750 Well-Known Member

    I have always uses stainless bolts and nuts with fender washers and 5200 in hole and behind fender washers. Is this overkill??
  7. TomFL

    TomFL Well-Known Member

    There is no overkill with boats, Jimmy!