Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but need to get it right:
I finally decided that the new hurdles created by adding a jackplate  flew in the face of the Keep-It-Simple-Stupid commitment I made when buying my 13' gheenoe for next to nothing. So now I've decided to just get rid of the BMS jackplate; my setup was most fun when it was kept simple. The trouble is, I want to make sure the little holes left in the transom from where the JP was bolted on are filled in correctly. So: just 5200, right? Nothing else? Just want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would use an epoxy putty, like Superbond. If you are refering in 3M 5200, by "5500", then that will work for small holes.

·
Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army
5,303 Posts
Use a material like silicone, 4200, or 5200. That is the advice I got from Custom Gheenoe. Reason is that it needs to expand and contract with the hull as it heats, cools and flexes. If you were to use a solid object like dowel it would develop a leak and you would get water intrusion.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
5200 will work just fine. you could get very technical with it, but the end result will be the same. You just want to keep the water out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have always uses stainless bolts and nuts with fender washers and 5200 in hole and behind fender washers. Is this overkill??

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I have always uses stainless bolts and nuts with fender washers and 5200 in hole and behind fender washers.  Is this overkill??
There is no overkill with boats, Jimmy!

-T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts