Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Filet Knive

6605 39
Don't keep a lot of fish but looking for a decent blade. Have a Rapala from years ago. Any suggestions?
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,207 Posts
For the rare occasions when I clean fish I've got one of those old, wooden-handled Rapala knives that's probably 30+ years old. But it's easy to put an edge on it and works well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use the Havalon Baracuta. The blades are extremely sharp and disposable. They only cost a couple bucks each, so definitely worth it to me to always have a sharp knife without having to do the sharpening.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,712 Posts
Always had good experience with the Dexter knives. I have a serrated blade for the big cuts and a bendy filet blade for the small cuts and detail work.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,620 Posts
I have a Kershaw extendable filet knife but they're discontinued.
Great for larger flounder, pull the blade out and lock it. I did break one steaking a wahoo. It broke at one of the locking slots on the back of the blade, probably why they discontinued them.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
733 Posts
My GF and I have been stacking the flounder the past few weekends. She wanted to learn to filet the founders so I let her use the newish bubba blade and I used the old Rapala. I noticed her struggling and offered her the rapala while I sharpened the bubba blade for her. The rapala holds a better edge than the bubba cause I cannot get the bubba as sharp as the rapala.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
3,049 Posts
My GF and I have been stacking the flounder the past few weekends. She wanted to learn to filet the founders so I let her use the newish bubba blade and I used the old Rapala. I noticed her struggling and offered her the rapala while I sharpened the bubba blade for her. The rapala holds a better edge than the bubba cause I cannot get the bubba as sharp as the rapala.
I agree.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use to try and buy things that could be used for multiple applications but my thoughts on that have changed over the years. Although they might do several things OK, it's never the perfect tool for one specific use. You're not going to go fishing with just one lure or one fishing pole are you? As it pertains to knives I own 4 with my Dexter 9" filet knife getting the most use. I like the longer blade for those occasions when I keep wider body fish (sheephead) so I don't accidently get spined when cleaning them. I also have a Dexter serrated blade for cutting through bones or the first cut on a redfish to get through the scales (not the meat). My Bubba 9" stiff blade is mainly used for cutting out the meat of cobia/tuna, then I use a thin bladed filet knife to cut the skin off. My small 6" Dexter filet knife is used for smaller fish like trout. I'm sure there are a lot of good knifes being made but even the best ones are useless if they aren't sharp. Having a good "set" of wet stones is equally important.

This doesn't pertain to your question but a couple other things I have found useful is having a good cutting board and safe way to transport your knifes. A number of years ago my wife worked for Sysco and I had her order me a cutting board. It was cut to the exact dims of the tailgate of my truck. It take up no space and is easy to transport if needed. Paid around $40 for it. In my area the cleaning stations are just plane disgusting! As far as a "knife case" I cut a 3" PVC tube to size and added end caps. It's simple, holds two knives and works great.

I have to add that I'm sure some of you will get the impression I keep a lot of fish. The reality is I don't. Just figure the ones I do harvest should be treated properly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.