Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from the pictures i have a hole in my forward casting deck. the hole is roughly 11in in diameter and is roughly 1in thick. The problem I am running into is that I do not have enough space for the proper beveling. I also want this repair to be a structural as possible because people will be standing on it and moving around on it. Any suggestions would be great!

Attachments

G

·
Ok, cut yourself a piece of core that fits just snug into the hole. Using some bonding putty/thickened epoxy bond the core at same level as exhisting core. Scarf a bevel as far out from the perimeter of the hole as you can to about 8”. Firs piece of glass should overlap by 2” give or take, next piec should overlap that by 2” and so on until you achieve desired thickness and scarfing in. Now, go under the deck and grind out an area up to twice the size of the hole, bevel out from the hole 4-6” but don’l go too deep with the bevel. Now the fun part... lay up the bottom similar to the top, last layer slightly smaller than area ground. Viola, hole filled and strong. Fair and paint topside, go fishen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome that’s what I had in mind I just wanted to double check I was on the right path!!
Ok, cut yourself a piece of core that fits just snug into the hole. Using some bonding putty/thickened epoxy bond the core at same level as exhisting core. Scarf a bevel as far out from the perimeter of the hole as you can to about 8”. Firs piece of glass should overlap by 2” give or take, next piec should overlap that by 2” and so on until you achieve desired thickness and scarfing in. Now, go under the deck and grind out an area up to twice the size of the hole, bevel out from the hole 4-6” but don’l go too deep with the bevel. Now the fun part... lay up the bottom similar to the top, last layer slightly smaller than area ground. Viola, hole filled and strong. Fair and paint topside, go fishen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only problem I’m going to run into is that I don’t have 8 inches in between the cleat hole and the large hole

·
Brandon, FL
10,969 Posts
The only problem I’m going to run into is that I don’t have 8 inches in between the cleat hole and the large hole
I would think that you could very easily redrill the cleat holes in order to make a proper repair.

G

·
Hey guys, it will be Monday when ya’ll core ships. Been a crazy week and it honestly slipped my mind. My apologies, but it will be on it’s way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts