Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s everyone using for scissors to cut thicker biax glass like 1208/1708 etc? I’ve fouled out 2 pairs of cheap fiskars after very minimal cutting. TIA

G

·
12” Wiss! Or spend the $ on the electric ones but they are quite pricey! I think I paid $40-$50 for my Wiss but have had them for a long time and had them sharpened several times!

G

·
This is a tip that might help as well... you may already know but if you draw back on the scissors as you cut, they will cut the glass much better.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Wow I'm surprised you fouled up 2 pairs of fiskars - I used the 9" orange handle ones (dressmaker model I believe) on 12oz biax without any problems (even after there was epoxy on the handle and outside surfaces of the blades)

BB has a great tip on method by drawing back as you snip

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
I use the ones from Milwaukee tools. They have a very fine serration and it gives me less ragged edges than smooth blades and also grips the glass just right. Get them at Home Depot.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just bought these cordless scissors off of Ebay for < $25.00. Quite frankly, I haven't tried them on fiberglass yet--in the reviews they say they work well --but they did go through heavy carpet and all 8000 Amazon boxes my wife ordered for Xmas like a hot knife through butter.

·
Plays with Glass...
1,635 Posts
I have large Wiss scissors and then use a 400 grit diamond stone 90 degree to the blade to create some tooth. Works well for cutting kevlar as well.

Edit: I use a Falkniven DC4 stone. Fits in your pocket so you can sharpen on the fly. Has a 200 a diamond side and 400 wet stone side.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
48 Posts
I bought a pair of fisker amplify fabric scissors for around $25 and worked great. I've used cheap scissors before to cut fiberglass cloth and was pleasantly surprised how much easier it is with a nicer sharper pair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts