Fiberglass repair instruction

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by formerWAflyfisher, Mar 2, 2012.

1. formerWAflyfisher

formerWAflyfisher Well-Known Member

Does any one know of or have heard about fiberglass/gelcoat repair classes or shops offering instruction. I know fiberglass repair isn't that difficult just time consuming, but I have seen work done by professionals and stuff I have done and there is no comparison.

I know there is more to this than I getting and instruction always helps. I am a full time student trying to get into a physical therapy program and if there is one thing I have learned in all of my years in school it is how little I know.

At the very least can any one recommend any books or DVDs.

Thanks

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

There are lots of instructional videos on www.jamestowndistributors.com

There are no classes that I have ever heard of. Vist a local boat builder and maybe he'll let you hang out once in a while.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

You can read all the books and watch all the videos, but nothing beats hands on experience.
    Take it as a basic fact, you will make mistakes and you will have to throw ruined material away.

Rule Number 1...If you're getting dirty, you're doing it wrong!

Rule Number 2...Protect your eyes, skin and lungs from contact with fiberglass, resins and solvents.
                            Dust, liquids or fumes...all can cause serious physical problems.
                            All work should be done in a well ventilated area wearing safety glasses, dust masks,
                            gloves and protective clothing.

Rule Number 3...Start small, learn the quirks of the materials, plan your layup and cleanup before starting.

Rule number 4...A heavy duty rotary sander removes most minor mistakes.   ;)

I still have my original copy of Fiberglass Boats Construction & Maintenance by Boughton Cobb, Jr. 1967

4. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

I'm working with a boat construction manufacture about having a work shop teaching how to fiberglass ect... in Orlando. This would be a great way to learn the proper ways to repair your boat.