Fiberglass in Orlando area?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by brunyan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. brunyan

brunyan I Love microskiff.com!

I will be posting soon in the bragging section a new project but was wondering where the best place around Orlando is to purchase fiberglassing material? Online possibly? I'm a rookie in fiberglass stuff but I got a cheap project to play around with and learn on. Thank you.

2. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Order it online. It is your best option
    1.) www.raka.com
    2.) www.boatbuildercentral.com
    3.) www.fiberglasssupply.com
    4.) www.jamestowndistributors.com
    5.)www.fiberglast.com

3. brunyan

brunyan I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks OB. Time to start the research on what I need and how much. I will post pics soon in the bragging section so all you "experienced" glassers can chime in.

4. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

No problem. If you are going to use epoxy, The first two companies in my list are the ONLY ones you should consider IMHO. I've been using boatbuildercentral epoxy almost exclusively. It's pretty much the same price as Raka. I know some that swear by Rakas epoxy. If you want to use UV epoxy, Raka has the advantage over boatbuilder.

5. kjruff7786

kjruff7786 I Love microskiff.com!

there's a marine surplus store in Daytona that sells fiberglass off the roll. thick thin and multi ply, also sells the quality resins by the gallon, as well as all kinds of trinkets to deck out whatever boat you're building

6. Dadvocate

Dadvocate If it ain't broke tweak it a little....

Surplus Unlimited in Daytona has great prices on all trailer and marine parts plus great prices on stainless hardware. I have been in their store and have never seen fiberglass on the roll only precut bagged items. I would not buy fiberglass supplies from them unless you only needed very small quanities. Use one of the companies Oysterbreath or gatorbrad posted. Call the store before you go.