Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my drift boat went in for bottom repairs and I was told there were a couple spots that had to be grinded or sanded down to the core material. A filler was used in those spots then glass layed over the entire bottom and finally the paint job. They told me it would last a few more years but most likely would not be repairable again. There were zero soft spots in the bottom or floor. It gets used about 160 days a year and is 16 years old. My question for y’all is are they telling me the truth about the life or just wanting to sell me one of their boats. He tried explaining to me that boat bottom repairs are like tire repairs, if you repair them from he inside out as opposed to outside in they are more durable. I have difficulty really believing that analogy. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He lied to you. Flat out.

Tell me the exact product he used as the filler.
That’s what I figured. Not sure the exact name. Said it was super expensive top of the line stuff. If they ever finish the boat I will find out. Thanks

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Any fiberglass boat can be repaired to stronger than new (also better if desired)... If your repair guy doesn’t know that - he has limited skills.

The big challenge is the cost to repair or re-fit as compared to whether the skiff is worth it when finished...

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
That’s what I figured. Not sure the exact name. Said it was super expensive top of the line stuff. If they ever finish the boat I will find out. Thanks
Don't take this wrong...i asked you for the name of the filler because many contain talc and talc will absorb water.

What is the name of the filler he is using? I will let you know if it has talc.

Many companies make filler just like the bondo they use on cars. The dye it blue instead of red, csll it marine and quadruple the price but it is the same junk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts