Few more HP's out of a 35?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jrod0785, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jrod0785

jrod0785 Well-Known Member

I have a 1985 Evinrude 35...It has been a great engine and is still running strong...Is there anything I can do or modify to the engine to pick up a few more ponies???

2. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Is it the 20 cu twin or a 3 cyl.? You can always polish out the ports a little and relieve back pressure by drilling a few larger holes in the exhaust housing, but that engine has been everything from an 18 to a 35 HP and it is near the limit because of displacement.

Frank_S

3. gheenoe

gheenoe Got snook?

I know on large motors shaving the heads for more compression makes a big difference. Never heard of anyone doing it to a small motor.

4. jrod0785

jrod0785 Well-Known Member

I am guessing it is a 20 cu in twin. I defiantly know it is not a 3 cyl. I havent ever heard of anybody doing anything to really hype up smaller motors and figured I would ask. It would defiantly be cool to pick up some hp's though. I need to find out what the right prop is for the boat. I got one that seems to do fine until the boat is slam loaded and got one that does great loaded, but runs to high of rpms when its light.