Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Favorite Tackle/Boat Bag?

7917 Views 60 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  TravHale
Looking to buy a quality bag for the boat. I'm tired of buying $40-$60 bags that fall to shit after a year or two - frozen zippers, corrosion etc.

Anybody have any luck with a bag that holds up to skiff life? Hoping to find a medium size bag that holds a couple plano boxes, pliers, leader spools, fly box, file etc. Looked at Abel, FishPond, Simms and others.

Any recommendations?
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 Chittum Islamorada 21 2013 Skeeter SX240
299 Posts
Looking to buy a quality bag for the boat. I'm tired of buying $40-$60 bags that fall to shit after a year or two - frozen zippers, corrosion etc.

Anybody have any luck with a bag that holds up to skiff life? Hoping to find a medium size bag that holds a couple plano boxes, pliers, leader spools, fly box, file etc. Looked at Abel, FishPond, Simms and others.

Any recommendations?
I have a KastKing that I've been very happy with. I haven't abused it but it's well designed and seems well-made, available in multiple sizes and very reasonably priced

· Registered
435 Posts
I have a fish pond cutbank gear bag.. I like it better than the great divider I had previously, I keep 3 cliff buggers in it sideways they take up half of it then leader, tools and sun screen keys ect. I swap out my cliffs depending on what Im doing each day and it fits nicely in all my hatches.

· Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
273 Posts
Following.

The Yeti Go Box would do everything you want....but it’s a bit over-priced for my budget. I have the Engel Dry Box....I like it but it’s a bit too small....so I carry soft plastics and hooks/jig heads in a soft-side Offshore Angler tackle bag....and like yours, it has the “frozen zippers” feature. 😩 View attachment 165737
I know that this doesn't qualify as a bag but,I second the Engel 13qt. Cooler/Dry Box. The one thing that I have noticed is that water can accumulate in the handle recess and can drip down inside the box. I sealed mine so that this isn't an issue anymore.There's a tray that you can put dry gear in that will keep stuff above the "cooler" section if you use ice for your beverages. The overall size is such that it's easy to stow.

· Soy un Perdedor
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Found one that's pretty cool but SIMMS discontinued it!

Dry Creek Boat Bag - I'm likin' the magnetic latch, deep shoe box lid and removable side compartments. This pic is a medium size and they now only make a large size with no side pods....and it's turd brown.

Crap.

· Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
273 Posts
I've got an older version of a Patagonia Great Divider bag, it's a great bag, waterproof with waterproof zippers and holds what I need. They are pricey but I caught mine on sale when they were updated models and clearanced them. Several people have been on my boat with Fishpond bags and they are nice as well.
If you're going with a "soft sided" bag, I have found Patagonia to be one of the best companies out there as far as standing behind their products! They'll replace regardless of age and upgrade you to the current models if your original model is no longer made!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Simms has the magnet. I can leave it unzipped and easily get in and out, plus move it without it spilling its contents if it tumps over. The holders on the side did rip off, but it's been like 7 years I've used that bag. I am just going to Shoe Goo those suckers back on.

The newest Umpqua bags are pretty slick, but no magnet, so a no go for me.

The only downside is those bags are pricey.

· Registered
Beavertail Vengence
205 Posts
I use the affordable igloo bags.

Zippers last and are easy to maintain with a silicone stick. Silicone sticks are cheap, they last and I have been using them for forty years. Simply open the zipper and run the stick over each half of the zipper, slick it up good and refresh as needed. I keep the stick handy, does a fine job. I also apply it to the zippers on my neoprene booties for when I have to get off the boat for reds.

· Registered
5 Posts
I looked at simms and orvis boat bags for awhile but went a different direction because of the price. For a wade bag, I have a simms backpack but I decided to save the cash and go with the plano dry storage box for the boat. Holds multiple fly boxes and a couple of boxes with jigs and plugs as well as my leader spools. Works well for me as a boat box, fairly waterproof in the rain, and easy store on a boat.

· I Love microskiff.com!
2021 Xplor X18P
659 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Any recommendations?
I went with a duck hunting blind bag that floats. Has room for a few Plano boxes, cliff flies full size box and cliff crab fly box, plus deeper than most for extra gear. Top flaps over which is not as easy as some of the boat bags but it has a handy slot for rain gear.
ALPS OutdoorZ Deluxe Floating... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWW3V3J?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

· ~Skiffs Rock~
2016 Lagoon Skiff by A&L Fiberglass
96 Posts
Well ... your budget probably makes that decision for you. I like my Patagonia Divider that is about 10 years old now, and last year I had to do some seam sealing all the way around and heavily lube the zipper. But it's good to go. That new Plano tackle bag looks awesome (with the plastic bottom). SIMMS boat bag? Meh to the color, if color matters. Really, if a Patagonia (with an awesome warranty) will give you ten years? I can handle $20 a year factored out over the life + still going.

· Registered
Santee
96 Posts
I use the large Plano Z-Series Tackle bag. No zippers to corrode, hard plastic base with tie down spots for stability and plenty of room for stuff. I have been using it for close to 4 years now and it has held up very well.

· Bait Hater
601 Posts
I also have the Fishpond cutbank gear bag. It has been a great bag so far, but it mostly stays in my rear hatch. I can fit two fly boxes, camera bag, sunscreen, and tons of leaders, koozies, nippers, pliers, etc. I was between this, the Patagonia, and Simms, and liked the dimensions of this one best. Plus it has fly patches on top to dry out and separate flies and lures i had used that day.

· Soy un Perdedor
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Think I found a winner...just came out in January. Feels like the same material as my Patagonia Great Divide, water-proof plastic bottom with non-slip feet, NO zippers, rigid shoe-box lid and the side pockets feel like fishing net material.

$59 on-line for the medium size with 2 Plano boxes inside.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts