Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Favorite Tackle/Boat Bag?

7905 Views 60 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  TravHale
Looking to buy a quality bag for the boat. I'm tired of buying $40-$60 bags that fall to shit after a year or two - frozen zippers, corrosion etc.

Anybody have any luck with a bag that holds up to skiff life? Hoping to find a medium size bag that holds a couple plano boxes, pliers, leader spools, fly box, file etc. Looked at Abel, FishPond, Simms and others.

Any recommendations?
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
I have two of these. The first one is a few years old still going strong. Second is backup. Zippers are still perfectly functional, never even rinsed it.

· Registered
2019 Salt Marsh Heron 16
599 Posts
Following.

The Yeti Go Box would do everything you want....but it’s a bit over-priced for my budget. I have the Engel Dry Box....I like it but it’s a bit too small....so I carry soft plastics and hooks/jig heads in a soft-side Offshore Angler tackle bag....and like yours, it has the “frozen zippers” feature. 😩

Reactions: jackson man

· Registered
7,787 Posts
A little wd40 does wonders....use some pb blaster to free them....then TLC w/ the WD...I use to wash them once in awhile in a bucket of dawn/water....stuck was never an issue that was not easily fixed
OR
go to walmart find a plastic box the size u need and stuff it w/ plano 3700s ..... one is sitting under my bench seat now... works great...anti-skid tape on bottom

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
A little wd40 does wonders....use some pb blaster to free them....then TLC w/ the WD...I use to wash them once in awhile in a bucket of dawn/water....stuck was never an issue that was not easily fixed
OR
go to walmart find a plastic box the size u need and stuff it w/ plano 3700s ..... one is sitting under my bench seat now... works great...anti-skid tape on bottom
Read post #3. That bag is amazing for $40-50. I got my two for $30 when Igloo was selling them with a Plano tackle box in yhe front pouch and calling them a 30 can tackle cooler. Mine is on my skiff all the time and never had to mess with the zippers. I keep my wallet and keys in the side pouch and they stay dry even when I spear a wave.

· I Love microskiff.com!
398 Posts
Check out the Plano guide series. They have a few different sizes / versions but one of them sits on a 2 inch tall milk crate type material. So it stays out of the water even if you take a wave. The storage is well thought out and I fill it with the waterproof 3700 boxes. I never would have thought it would last like it has but I've been running it hard for 5 years

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,253 Posts
I've got an older version of a Patagonia Great Divider bag, it's a great bag, waterproof with waterproof zippers and holds what I need. They are pricey but I caught mine on sale when they were updated models and clearanced them. Several people have been on my boat with Fishpond bags and they are nice as well.

· Super Moderator
4,333 Posts
Been using a Gill Cordura laptop computer bag for years. Multiple pockets and the main interior will hold a Plano box, binder for soft baits and fly box. Flap pocket holds pliers, fobs, leader spool. Compact so it fits in the forward hatch easily. I don't carry a ton of tackle anyway.

· Registered
40 Posts
Check out the Plano guide series. They have a few different sizes / versions but one of them sits on a 2 inch tall milk crate type material. So it stays out of the water even if you take a wave. The storage is well thought out and I fill it with the waterproof 3700 boxes. I never would have thought it would last like it has but I've been running it hard for 5 years
x2 for the Plano guide series. love the plastic bottom to keep things dry and mine has quick access flip-up tackle storage on the lid. Holds 4 plano boxes on the inside and lots of storage on the outside

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,273 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
629 Posts
Lews boat bag. Have had then same one for 5+ years. A wipe down and zipper lube once and a while and it’s still going strong. I’m pretty good about taking care of my gear but I’ll admit, this bag gets some abuse.
Amazon.com : Lews Yellow Speed Boat Bag, 24-Inch : Fishing Tackle Storage Bags : Sports & Outdoors
Going to second this bag. I've had mine for two years and it still looks and functions like new. I just leave it in one of my hatches as a "ditch bag" of sorts with my throw cushion, first aid kit, ropes, flares, extra life vests, etc. It's nice that it's soft sided vs. some of the other boxes recommended (in my opinion) because it can conform to smaller openings and hatches.

Reactions: jay.bush1434

· Registered
367 Posts
Simms, similar to umpqua, patagonia, fishpond. This is the route to go in my opinion. Couple with the plano sealed boxes, and I have stored packs of hooks, swivels, flies, lead, whatever for multiple years with no rust. End of the day just zip it up and spray off the salt form the outside. Little bit large but if it fits in your hatches these waterproof boxes will be the last tackle box you ever buy. And they are "soft" so they arent heavy like the yeti version of the pelican case. The simms one stood out to me cause it has a sweet little magnet closure that you dont have to zip all the way around every time you go in for something. Youll never go back.

· Registered
Cayo 180 10deg
815 Posts
I went away from the bags and got one of these for tackle and accessories. Can’t remember the size I got, but holds 5 trays with everything I need nice and neat. Its compact, sturdy and organized.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts