Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone's favorite rod companies to use for inshore and larger game (tarpon, sharks). My favorite rods for inshore are falcon coastal xg really good rods for the price and have so many models in the series that go up to larger inshore and offshore game. The reels that I use are the shaming Nasci and the Stradic fk I really like the 3000 size and for larger game I use the shaming spheres sw 8000. Interested In what other people are using!

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
I like a penn battle 3000 or 4000 reel with a penn legion 7'6" med fast for spin tackle, however in the last couple of years I've all but given up spin tackle.

For me I use an echo Ion XL 8wt with Allen kraken #3 and rio summer redfish line. I dont really target tarpon up here in the lowcountry of sc but if I did I'd be looking at a 12wt tfo mangrove with an Allen kraken #4. I know I know it's not "tested" but for the price I'll risk it over spending more than double on a Tibor and probably not notice much difference. (Pot stirred)

I don't ever really target sharks, my guide buddy says everyone who comes asking to catch a shark is from the Midwest (Ohio typically) and trying to prove how tough they are.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like a penn battle 3000 or 4000 reel with a penn legion 7'6" med fast for spin tackle, however in the last couple of years I've all but given up spin tackle.

For me I use an echo Ion XL 8wt with Allen kraken #3 and rio summer redfish line. I dont really target tarpon up here in the lowcountry of sc but if I did I'd be looking at a 12wt tfo mangrove with an Allen kraken #4. I know I know it's not "tested" but for the price I'll risk it over spending more than double on a Tibor and probably not notice much difference. (Pot stirred)

I don't ever really target sharks, my guide buddy says everyone who comes asking to catch a shark is from the Midwest (Ohio typically) and trying to prove how tough they are.
The Yankees that come down like to catch the sharks down here in Ga. It's pretty good when the tarpon and reds aren't blighting in the surf.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
I just started using a 7'4 shimano teramar blue inshore medium paired with a little penn battle 2 size 2000 and it's a fantastic lower priced setup. I own 3 penn battles that never get any love and they just keep working great.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
505 Posts
I love my Falcon Micro Bucoo 7'6" rods. They discontinued them though. I have 4 of them. I can't believe how many fish I've caught on the. They cast far, are super light, whip fish fast. They were reasonably priced at $129. I've partnered Shimano Stradics, Saros, and Saros reels as well as lately the new Diawa BGs. I'm liking the Diawa. We'll see how they hold up in the long run

·
Registered
391 Posts
just picked up a new Concept C left hand, have only heard good things about them and decided to give one a shot

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,905 Posts
Trout, reds and snook or tarpon and sharks? Your title and first post don't line up.
Laguna Custom Rods build anything a man could want other than big surf rods and heavy offshore rods.
My all around wading and sight casting rod is a 6'4" Light Texas Wader 2. I have caught up to 47" jacks and reds on it no problem and it still has the light feel to toss light jigs.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,348 Posts
Reds.... Hurricane Calico 7ft 8-17lb spinning rod (light and fast action for $59), paired with an Okuma Epixor 40b spinning reel (very saltwater resistant, smooth drag and for $59). 15lb braid, FG Simplified knot to 4ft of 15lb fluorocarbon leader material, albrighted or alberto knotted to 2ft of 20lb fluorocarbon leader. Loop knotted to my artificial lure. Super fun rod for reds, snook and light pelagic action like jacks, bluefish, little tunny, big spanish macks, mangrove snapper action, etc...

Trout.... Hurricane Calico 7ft or 6'6" - 6-12lb spinning rod (very light and fast action for $59), paired with an Okuma Epixor 30b spinning reel (very saltwater resistant, smooth drag and for $59). 10lb braid, FG Simplified knot to 4ft of 10lb fluorocarbon leader material, albrighted or alberto knotted to 2ft of 20lb fluorocarbon leader. Loop knotted to my artificial lure. Super fun rod for sea trout or light flats fishing.

I use to use more expensive outfits but found these outfits are a great value that last thru years of rugged saltwater abuse.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
71 Posts
I fish Shimano spinning reels in 2500,3000,4000, and 5000 with Star rods. I still have a few heavy Penn setups in my for nearshore/offshore though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I prefer Bull bay rods or T Allen Rods . Reels either shimano or penn.
I did get my hands on some of the Tsunami reels and for the money they feel great.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Calico Jack is probably the best rod out there in terms of value. You can find them for $50 or less and they handily compete with most $100 plus rods. We use them for live bait and haven't broken a medium yet despite having some massive fish on the line.

Hurricane rods (they also make Calico Jack) are probably the best $100 rod with a great warranty. TFO is often touted in this class and their warranties are similar but Hurricane is a $15 replacement while TFO is more than $50. I find the rods comparable in terms of performance.

Reels, look no further than the Daiwa BG for most duties. Alan Hawk considers it one of the best reels out there in terms of quality to cost. More money buys lighter weight not better construction beyond the BG.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
For smaller trout: Loomis Greenwater 7' med fast with an older model Stella 3000 (It's like 20 years old; I'm not rich, I swear)
Big trout/reds/snook: St. Croix Avid inshore 7'6" med fast with a Sustain 4000
Dock work: St. Croix Tidemaster 7' med heavy with a Battle 4000 spooked with 30.
Topwater: St. Croix Tidemaster casting 7' medium with an old Penn International 955

1 - 20 of 24 Posts