Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the amount of time it would take me to find a deal on a Hardy or H2 one piece I could just build whatever I want. What blanks do you all like for 10 through 12 wt?

·
Registered
145 Posts
CTS Affinity blanks get good press on the rod building forums but compared to what, and when used by who, is a lot less clear. If you are looking for a 1 piece blank I don't think that is an option from CTS (although some guys will epoxy a ferrule to create one).

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've looked at some of the CTS rods but ended up ordering an MHX blank. Mostly because it cost half a much and since I plan on trying to make it into a one piece I figured I'd test my theory on something that's inexpensive.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
So the main reason of a one piece rod is to eliminate any ferrules and by doing so the result is a smoother, more even and consistent flex/bend in the rod. Can someone please explain what is gained or accomplished by simply permanently gluing two pieces together ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd say the main advantage a one piece blank is weight......and gluing obviously doesn't fulfill this. Ferrule technology is good enough nowadays that flat spots don't seem to be a factor. As for gluing ferrules (and I'm not advocating doing so), it does eliminate twisting or loosening....and loosening is a common cause of ferrule failure. The other reason for gluing is shipping related. According to CTS it is cost prohibitive to internationally ship an individual blank more than 8' 10". Many of the rods they sell are much longer so they come in two pieces with the intent that they be glued if one wants a one piece blank.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
105 Posts
Thomas and Thomas sell blanks. I built a 12wt Exocett and love it. The blank comes completely blank unlike Sage blanks where they have a logo, model, and size. But its still the same rod.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
105 Posts
so what did you "do" that make the 12wt rod yours! guides, cork, other?

Yeah all of the above. You buy the blank and choose the guides (they have a guide chart) reel seat, cork, thread wraps. Everything really. You can make it your own.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,813 Posts
Thomas and Thomas sell blanks. I built a 12wt Exocett and love it. The blank comes completely blank unlike Sage blanks where they have a logo, model, and size. But its still the same rod.
My latest Sage blank has nothing on it. You can add their logo, model size stickers if you want, but, they aren't on the blank already.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
105 Posts
My latest Sage blank has nothing on it. You can add their logo, model size stickers if you want, but, they aren't on the blank already.
Dang they must have changed that like the other companies. I have a Sage One, Salt, Method, and Z axis and they all came with the logo and size.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts