False Floor Questions

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by wrv993, Feb 12, 2012.

1. wrv993

wrv993 I Love microskiff.com!

Have a few false floor questions. I want to add a false floor (only from pt1 -pt2 in picture) to my skiff... I've read a lot about adding stringers if doing a false floor. Is it necessary? If so... must they be ran through the whole hull even if I'm flooring only a portion? Has anyone used pvc as stringer material?

[​IMG]

2. Izzy11

Izzy11 Backwater boy for life

Adding stringers is always a good idea when cutting the middle out..... 

As for using PVC....  I'm no pro,  but from what I've read it's not the material that necessarily adds the strength.  It's the fiberglass .  So I personally would think that PVC would work fine.   

And about your question on running the stringers the length of the hull..... I would . That's how you keep the floor "as one", so it doesn't flex .

Good luck to ya ...

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Ap: i have the same hull as you. Its an extremely good design when correctly rebuilt. Maverick hewes pathfinder uses cut down the center pvc pipe as stringers towards the bow. I did it in my skiff, just do yourself a favor and do several layers. I did one and it didnt hold.. Make sure to sand the pvc and wipe with acetone

4. floridanative1028

floridanative1028 I Love microskiff.com!

If I were you I would make the false floor go all the way forward. If you do it the way you have it drawn make sure you have a plan for draining water out of that section back to the stern.

5. wrv993

wrv993 I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to do the half cut pvc's as stringers and extend the the floor throughout the hull. Got draining and floor plans all drawn out, just at matter of finding some time to make it happen. Also, whats a good foam (and relativity cheap)? I pulled a good amount of saturated and ruined foam out from under that back seat... I would like to replace some of it