Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F60 on my HB blew up last weekend and is not easily fixable. Hole in the block. Local Yamaha dealers do not have an F70 in stock and due to covid they have 45 motors on order with no time frame for delivery. I’ve looked at zuk and tohatsu but F70 is what I want.
Does anyone have experience with Yamaha-outboardsale.com? Yanlun marine out of Hong Kong. Hate to not use local shop but
online place says can ship an F70 to me within the month for $2000 less than local dealer. Opinions are more than welcome. Is this deal too good to be true?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,319 Posts
I got burned on a "good" deal on a camera from China one time and I vowed to never fall victim again. Too much risk and no recourse if it doesn't pan out.

What shaft length are you looking for in the F70? Have you tried other Yamaha dealers along the Gulf Coast? I can check with mine in St. Marks if I know which engine you need. A couple hundred bucks to ship vs. potentially thousands lost by scam would be worth it to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just repowered with an f70 so I know what you mean. At least those dealers are being honest about the time frame. I was told everything from 3 weeks to 3 months. Keep calling around and I think you'll find the bigger dealers still have some in stock. Found two in Charleston, although one place wanted over 10k just for the motor. Obviously I didn't go there. No way in hell I'd send $ out of country until I had the motor in hand.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Check Central Marine in St Pete. I just got an F70 there from Karl and shipped to me in S Texas.
Just got off the phone w/them 5 min ago.
70hp-115hp=Nov-Dec arrival date.

Reactions: txredfly

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,319 Posts
Shields services and sells packages but not stand-alone bigger Yamaha engines.

Worth a call to Mike's Marine in Panacea, FL or Big Bend Marine in Perry, FL

Legendary Marine in Destin has several locations, too. Big Yamaha dealer: 833-956-8764

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
curious why you would want another yamaha if the one you have blew up. did it have a million hours?
462 hours but 15 y/o. Great question. Same one my mechanic had. I have always run yamaha since I was 13 and now 45. But real reason is power. The tohatsu 60 is sweet at 213# but I make long runs and each MPH helps and the more low end torque to jump up skinny the better. I have 2 friends with f70s on their pros and the difference between my old 60 and the f70 is noticeable.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Not to derail. But I noticed that Suzuki lists a short shaft DF60 on their GLOBAL web site. Sure would be nice to get ahold of one.

Reactions: JC Designs

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,284 Posts
A fifteen year old OB with 450 hrs in the hyper saline Laguna Madre is pretty good service, however, if the internal anodes had been replaced annually and the engine flushed with every use the OB could have made it to 3000 hrs. A 2005 F60 is the first generation Yamaha four cycle and later models may have been engineered for better corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A fifteen year old OB with 450 hrs in the hyper saline Laguna Madre is pretty good service, however, if the internal anodes had been replaced annually and the engine flushed with every use the OB could have made it to 3000 hrs. A 2005 F60 is the first generation Yamaha four cycle and later models may have been engineered for better corrosion resistance.
Boat and motor came from Florida 3 years ago. Don’t know the repair or service history besides my own. Suspect was well maintained based on condition of boat when I bought it. Though it had sat on a lot for 8 months and thermostat was completely fouled when I first ran it. Figured that was pretty normal for a motor that had not been run in a while. My routine maintenance has been excellent though I’m admittingly not easy on an outboard. I typically fish a long way from home, run at upper cruising speeds (not wide open) and hammer it to jump up real shallow a lot. It was just 15 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts