Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i did the search and read all about both.whats the consensus? not looking for a pissing match or a ford vs chevy thread. boat is a beavertail mosquito i want real world answers on the boat named and the engines as well. please keep the horror stories to yourself. looking for speed and draft and benefits of both motors.thanks lets make microskiff great again!!!!!

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
yes i did the search and read all about both.whats the consensus? not looking for a pissing match or a ford vs chevy thread. boat is a beavertail mosquito i want real world answers on the boat named and the engines as well. please keep the horror stories to yourself. looking for speed and draft and benefits of both motors.thanks lets make microskiff great again!!!!!
Posts like this remind me of the ignore feature.

All you have to do is click on a users name, and then click Ignore.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,287 Posts
Posts like this remind me of the ignore feature.

All you have to do is click on a users name, and then click Ignore.
What’s the use of starting a thread if you don’t want people to share their personal exleriences? Maybe you should call Beavertail and demand some flow charts, graphs and hard copies of test data for the Mosquito hull with both motors...
And FYI all we do is have pissing matches so...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
938 Posts
So
You don't want to hear my brand new F70 horror ?
Suzuki!!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of bad experiences from an F70. But it comes at a price that's a lot higher than a Suzuki, and while I've never run a Suzuki 60 I would seriously consider one since from what I've seen it will probably save you close to 2 grand.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Mosquito owner here. No way I'd put a 70hp Yamaha on that little skiff. I'd have to get off my couch and leave my fireplace but I think it's only rated for 60hp. 60hp is plenty. Heck, I'd even consider a 50hp short shaft Tohatsu as I don't like the way the bigger motor runs on this skiff in TX. Fine for you deep water FL boys but here in TX, it's not optimal.

Reactions: Jumbo Jet

·
Registered
920 Posts
Forgot to add, BT has great sales and post sales customer service. You should be asking them. If was always running deep water vs the uber shallow stuff we run here, I'd have a different answer. We don't know how you plan to use the skiff.
Best,

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Max horsepower rating for Mosquito is 70. They have rigged a few with F70s, along with a few Mercury 60s like mine. But the majority have gone out with Evinrude or Zuke 60s.

My 60 Merc four-stroke does just fine for the skinny water here in the Florida Big Bend and Panhandle.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
938 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of bad experiences from an F70. But it comes at a price that's a lot higher than a Suzuki, and while I've never run a Suzuki 60 I would seriously consider one since from what I've seen it will probably save you close to 2 grand.
I beg to differ
I think you'd be surprised how many f 70s you can find with new power heads!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've not heard great things about the newer Yammies. My 2001 2S was bullet proof and even though it was 16 yrs old when I sold that skiff, I should have pulled it off. Seriously. The 60 zuke isn't bad but part of me would rather have an Etec as compared to a 2stroke, it's a bit sluggish. One serious problem for me is there is no where close for Zuke service and I live on the W side of Houston, near the coast! Big box place 30 mins away with a terrible rep or drive 2 hrs to the coast. That's almost a deal killer for me (didn't choose the Zuke-bought the skiff barely used).
Cheers,

·
Registered
189 Posts
A few of the guides that I know in Texas are moving away from the 70 Yamaha.
I know of at least 3 warranty issues that Yamaha has not handled well.
They Will deny a warranty issue if a F70 is used in a tunnel situation.
Lower units are breaking. I and a few others that I know are heading to Suzuki and hopefully a large Tohastu.

As a point of reference I loved the old 2-stoke 90 Yamaha, definitely a benchmark.
Mike

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,086 Posts
The Etec 60 on my just sold B2 was flawless, the way I used it. I rarely run WOT and I couldn't care less about hole shot. I have done both & feel it's a solid engine. I've been on a Mosquito with a Suzy 60 & it performed great also. I was having a tough time deciding what engine to hang on my "can't wait to get it" Mosquito until this; Suzuki DECLINING 6 yr warranty...Etec 10 yr NON-DECLINING warranty. DECISION = E-tec 60 Personally, I didn't even consider a 70. My 2 pennies

·
Registered
920 Posts
You couldn’t pay me to hang a 70yamaha on the Mosquito. Now that I’ve had mine with a 60 Zuke for a year plus, I’d really, like to see how the skiff performs with a 50hp, maybe even a short shaft if it could get enough water. The mosquito is not a big boat and is narrow at the stern. I can’t see the utility in putting a 70 on it.

Reactions: TX_Brad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Max horsepower rating for Mosquito is 70. They have rigged a few with F70s, along with a few Mercury 60s like mine. But the majority have gone out with Evinrude or Zuke 60s.

My 60 Merc four-stroke does just fine for the skinny water here in the Florida Big Bend and Panhandle.
I have to agree with you on the 60 Merc four-stroke. Mine runs on the highest level on my Jack Plate with no probs (I do have a Waterman w/Tunnel). I have not had any probs with it either with the exception of the fuel line that I had to replace. All Mercs need their fuel line checked. Mine was corroded on the inside. Luckily I caught it before it got into the injectors...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
I think its bears stating that the F60 Yamaha and F70 Yamaha are exactly the same weight and essentially the same motor. Why *wouldn't* you want to maximize the horsepower to weight ratio of any motor you buy?

·
BBA Counselor
6,895 Posts
I think its bears stating that the F60 Yamaha and F70 Yamaha are exactly the same weight and essentially the same motor. Why *wouldn't* you want to maximize the horsepower to weight ratio of any motor you buy?
They are comparing the zuke 60 to the yam 70, maxing out both hp for the motors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts