F%&K!!!!!

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by OffShoreSkiff, Jun 8, 2010.

1. OffShoreSkiff

OffShoreSkiff I Love microskiff.com!

So I fish in my boat at least once a week. Today I went to go out and I have no power at the Trim on the throttle lever And she wont turn Over. Changed the battery (it was dead) and Power everywhere else, all fuses on the block good. Trim works on the engine switch. Still wont crank or trim from the switch. Has me stupped. Just fished last saturday all day with no problem. Both batteries are brand new.

Only thing different I did Was add a float switch to the bilge. So i tried cutting the wires to see if if would change and Still nothing. Any ideas?

2. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

corroded contacts? My bilge switch was out of commish until I flicked up and down 30-something times until it worked.

3. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i'm replacing a float switch right now on the f&f that had a slight voltage leak to it :-? you could barely hear the pump running and there was no way to stop it other than clipping the leads to the float switch, once i removed it from the circuit all's good now :cool:

4. OffShoreSkiff

On sunday I added the float switch checked it with the hose both on auto and manual. Worked fine. put the boat up that night and went to go fishing last night (tuesday) and the battery was dead. Whatever it is is draining the battery too. Thats why I thought about cutting the bilge off the circuit to see if that was the case. Still not working, even with new fully charged battery. Im gonna go check it again tonight and see if the the other battery is drained now that I have dissconnected the bilge.

5. mark_gardner

check, double check, and triple check ALL connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight! hard to believe that it ran fine one day and the next its not for any other reason than those stated above. when my bilge pump was draining down it was a slight little hum unlike the much louder buzz when its normally powered... i could hardley hear it unless i put my ear down close to it.... good luck

6. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Random question, is it normal for the automatic bilge pump to work when the battery switch is set on Off?

7. mark_gardner

yes :) usually you would want the bilge pump to activate regardless if the power switch is on or off, the float switch should be the only component on your boat that goes straight to the battery

8. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

To check for a battery draw:
    1 Charge battery
    2 turn off all switches in boat
    3 hook up ground lead to battery
    4 instal 12v test light between positive cable and pos batt terminal

If test light glows, disconnect fuses/wires one at a time until light goes out. That is the offender.

9. OffShoreSkiff

Good advice. Did this and the only thing to have power was the stereo. Still no power at the key or throttle lever.

Dont know if this is correct or not but there are no fuses for the instrument panel. Only fuse block on the boat controls the vhf, stereo, GPS and one other componet. There is a main coming off the battery directlty to the engine and the I suppose there is fuses on the engine.

10. Flpt

Flpt Well-Known Member

Depending on the engine, check the fuse at the motor under the cowling. Had the same thing happen on a 50 yammi, a short elsewhere blew the fuse on the motor and it would not crank nor would trim operate. On my Yammi 50 the the fuse (glass in an inline fuse holder) was located next to the shift/throttle linkage)

11. OffShoreSkiff

This has got me going crazy. Between all the wires on the ignition and the engine there are no fuses. I find this disturbing to say the least. I only could find 2 fuses under the engine cover. Both were good. With all the wiring under the console for the switches, guages, fuel sender, everything there are no fuses. Am I crazy? And to have power to every other component including the lights on the guages is nuts.

From the engine to the battery is a 4 gauge wire, neg & pos, going directly to one another. And the trim works from the switch on the engine when these are connected. But not on the throttle lever.
    Im gonna go with sandpaper and put new connectors on the battery and see if that does anything for me.

12. jrod0785

jrod0785 Well-Known Member

Do you have a control box that has the throttle/trim and iginition all in one? Or is the ignition separate? Also, did you use a meter to omm out the fuses? I have seen fuses that look ok, but they wont omm out.

13. OffShoreSkiff

They are separate. The key and kill switch are together and then the trim is coming from the throttle lever beside it. This morning a re did some wiring and brought my test light with me. 2 of the 6 contacts on the ignition have power.

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Trim switches on the console or throttle handle go bad.
    Salt water and electricity guarantee corrosion.
    That's why the manufacturers sell replacement switches.
    I've had it happen on 4 boats over the years.
    Replacing the worn out switch solved the problem.
    The fact that the engine tilt switch functions
    is a pretty good indicator of what's gone wrong.

15. OffShoreSkiff

I thought about replacing that first but the ignition stopped working at exactly the same time. Even when you turn the key to the on position before the crank there is nothing. The gauges dont flicker the gas gauge doesnt move volts or nothing.

16. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Is your kill switch on the binnacle activated?
    Is the shifter in forward or reverse?
    Both will cause your problem, as will a loose supply or ground wire.

17. OffShoreSkiff

Ok so I just went through the whole wire harness under the dash and under the engine cover. Checked all grounds all looks good. Re-crimped some connections on the battery and sanded the contacts. Still no power at the ignition nor the throttle trim. Everything else is working fine. The "ON" position is not working on the key either.

Shouldn't there be a fuse for the ignition?

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Binnacle make and model?
    Outboard make and model?

19. OffShoreSkiff

50hp Honda 4-stroke 2004
    Honda Controls (dont know exact model)

20. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Multiple automotive style blade fuses in Honda wiring harnesses.
    Verify no burnt fuses and that the kill switch hasn't shorted out.
    You're going to be looking for this type of fuse holder...