Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an h3 8# with the mirage reel from orvis. I have bben throwing an intermediate tip Rio flats pro line and love it.
there are times though when a 100% floating line is going to be better.

I can get a lower grade reel for the price of a spare spool. I'm really considering this as i will have a back up reel then .

I know that you want a good drag but I have trouble paying so much for a spool when I can get a little less expensive reel.

what are ya'lls thoughts?

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Super Budget.
I have several buddies that fish steelhead with Redington Behemoth reels. They do a lot of scrambling across rocks on the North Shore of Superior and don't see the point in destroying high dolla reels. They are cast rather than forged. Never owned one but fished one several times and they seem to do great. Super strong drag.

Nice Used Options
Everglades obviously, but not super cheap.
Cheaper used option would be a used Abel with the smaller arbor, I bought one and have seen other big game 3Ns go for a song on Ebay.

Budget but new.
3-Tand reels are not cheap but more budget friendly than a lot of other new options. I have the T-70 and it has been a beast. @Backwater has the lightweight version and I think he's still doing some kind of torture test to it.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
850 Posts
I’d consider an Orvis Hydros reel. I have one as wife’s reel back up and think it is great for the price.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
HAHAHA Nah I'm the same way, drop a ton of money on a new trolling motor the other day and then wondering why I can't find just the insert piece for a quick release adapter and why I have to buy the whole dang thing.

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
620 Posts
Most of the time, one line is going to better for a trip/outing than the other. Its not that hard to swap fly lines if you keep some spare spools (that the fly line came on) especially since you probably wont do it that often. I stick to swapping fly lines before a trip rather than carrying an extra spool with me.

That being said, If i think I may need two different lines/weights for a day of fishing, I would bring an entire second setup. I hate the term "backup." I used to have backup rods/reels that I never used. So one day I sold them all and bought a couple high end setups in weights that I didn't have before. Spending less money on a rod or reel that is less quality than I am used to seems silly to me. Don't buy a backup 8wt, buy a 7wt or a 9wt that wont be used as backup, just used when conditions call for something slightly different that your 8 wt paired with a certain line. I don't have backup rods or reels, I just have "Other" rods or reels.

So in your case, I would say swap the lines when you want one or the other, and don't buy another spool or reel. If you find yourself switching between those lines that often, save up and buy a set up dedicated to that application. Just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts