Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to Take my skiff down to the Everglades to do some fishing/camping. I was told the winter months are the best because of the bugs. I am looking at going the second week in March is that a good time of year? I have never done it so any info/tips from people that have done it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ha ha. Our yearly trip this year is March 20th. ^^^^ is how I will look.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went this weekend. Bugs only bad after dusk. Eat an early dinner and bring a big net/sit in your tent and you’ll be fine. If you can’t handle a couple mosquito bites, don’t go camping.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I poled my skiff all over the interior on Tuesday and never saw the first biter.... At night, though, things will get interesting... Very good advice available on this site from lots and lots of guys who not only fish the 'glades - but also camp there.

Here's a tip most may not know about... One of my anglers - an enterprising soul, went to the concessionaire and asked what the rental rate for a houseboat would be if you used it as a liveaboard - never moving it from the marina... He got $50 off the $350 daily rate and with five others they had a floating motel with their boats tied up to it... worked out to be $50 a night per person with full cooking facility, A/C, and a comfortable bug free place to stay each night... I never would have thought of it... They even had me aboard their first night (stay tuned for another small tip...).

If you can afford it and it's your first time in the 'glades - book a guide to get a head start on where to go and how to do... etc. This is something I've been doing for years. Later today I'll post up a fishing report on just such a trip. My anglers that day are still down at Flamingo fishing out of their own skiff...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I poled my skiff all over the interior on Tuesday and never saw the first biter.... At night, though, things will get interesting... Very good advice available on this site from lots and lots of guys who not only fish the 'glades - but also camp there.

Here's a tip most may not know about... One of my anglers - an enterprising soul, went to the concessionaire and asked what the rental rate for a houseboat would be if you used it as a liveaboard - never moving it from the marina... He got $50 off the $350 daily rate and with five others they had a floating motel with their boats tied up to it... worked out to be $50 a night per person with full cooking facility, A/C, and a comfortable bug free place to stay each night... I never would have thought of it... They even had me aboard their first night (stay tuned for another small tip...).

If you can afford it and it's your first time in the 'glades - book a guide to get a head start on where to go and how to do... etc. This is something I've been doing for years. Later today I'll post up a fishing report on just such a trip. My anglers that day are still down at Flamingo fishing out of their own skiff...
It is funny that you mention the house boats as I have seen some used as a mother ship in the glades before. But it is cost prohibitive as and trailering that thing would be a beast. So usually on our annual trip, we have 2 boats with 2 guys per boat and we camp. One of my buddies is talking about getting a full screen enclosure for his pontoon boat and we use it as a mother ship. Not too heavy to trailer. Goes shallow. You can sleep 3 just on the seats alone. Carry a grill and all the coolers, etc. Then you are no longer bound by campsites. Last year, we were in the glades 5 nights during the government shut down and it was so nice because we could just change campsites based on the weather whenever we wanted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is funny that you mention the house boats as I have seen some used as a mother ship in the glades before. But it is cost prohibitive as and trailering that thing would be a beast. So usually on our annual trip, we have 2 boats with 2 guys per boat and we camp. One of my buddies is talking about getting a full screen enclosure for his pontoon boat and we use it as a mother ship. Not too heavy to trailer. Goes shallow. You can sleep 3 just on the seats alone. Carry a grill and all the coolers, etc. Then you are no longer bound by campsites. Last year, we were in the glades 5 nights during the government shut down and it was so nice because we could just change campsites based on the weather whenever we wanted.
There are house boats at flamingo that you can rent, so trailering one isnt an issue if youre doing that type of trip.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've camped there every year for the last 18 years, take some bug spray, cigars, plenty of rum, and stay high where you can have a fire. Also, always keep your tent closed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We were there (Flamingo) end of December. Was a little buggy but fishing was great and had a great time. We camped on the beach. Beach will definitely be better than interior as far as bugs go. Bugs usually worse dawn and dusk. During the day there were literally no bugs at all but the rangers told us things had been decent. The farther you stay from the "woods" the better so try and pick an open area provided the winds will allow. It was pretty windy so we parked in a more wooded area so bugs got us good. Get a thermocell for inside the tent, it will keep the bugs out.

Next time I go I'm definitely taking long sleeves, pants and a face net. I didn't this time because I was with a new group and thought I'd get made fun of, LOL!

It was a great experience and can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
3 generations of rovster...
That's the good stuff right there. Pretty envious of that. Dad is gone and son rarely wants to go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m blessed that my family supported my fishing addiction as a kid and now my son is getting addicted so gives me an excuse to get out there. Wife is very supportive of getting my son out there more often and has given me the blessing to get a skiff of my own! Win win for me LOL!

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's awesome. I'm lucky in the same that since I bought the boat the "boss" said I expect you to use it. Also lucky that she enjoys going with me, well when the weather is nice. She's turning into quite the fisher-woman herself. My boy comes occasionally but he's 15 and would much rather hang out with buddies. I'm ok with that because I was 15 once.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My wife used to enjoy fishing more before we had kids so I was on hiatus for a few years. Now that my son is older (9) he’s caught the bug and has had it for a couple years. Both my kids been on the boat since they were infants. Daughter not too enthused about fishing but she enjoys going out on the boat and having fun on the beaches or sandbars.

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way!

More Flamingo pics to keep on topic....

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great pics and better memories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts