Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making plans to take my son and his Gheenoe we built up for his first trip into whitewater bay and Hells Bay probably next month. Anyone else fishing the area regularly? We would love to meet some of you all.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
I’ll piggy back on this. I’m headed down next month as well for my first trip. Still not sure if I am going to be fishing out of Flamingo or Chokoloskee. If we are there the same time, I’ll say hey... if I go before, I’ll be glad to keep you posted on how it goes. Probably can’t tell you what was working, but I should be able to tell you what not to do.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll piggy back on this. I’m headed down next month as well for my first trip. Still not sure if I am going to be fishing out of Flamingo or Chokoloskee. If we are there the same time, I’ll say hey... if I go before, I’ll be glad to keep you posted on how it goes. Probably can’t tell you what was working, but I should be able to tell you what not to do.
That would be great. I guided out of Flamingo for over 20years but this will be my boys first trip. Just want to get him to fall in love with the backcountry.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm hoping to make the pilgrimage to the back country in the next couple of weeks from JAX

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be great. I guided out of Flamingo for over 20years but this will be my boys first trip. Just want to get him to fall in love with the backcountry.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everglades are full, fished out, and the water is polluted, dont bother....wear long sleeves and bring bug spray.
Like I said I grew up there and never worry about getting away from the crowds. Once I get back to the numerous ponds and streams areas I’m home and happy no matter what

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
Since all the storms it may not look the same

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amen , still great fishing out there . Not the same as it was 20 years ago but can find lots of fish if you know what your doing.
That's what makes the backcountry so great. Finding untouched areas and knowing your the only one that has been there

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
We’re in big and not so big tarpon every day now out of Flamingo... Over on the Chokoloskee side of things good sized snook have finally made a showing along shallow shorelines up inside... but so have the deer flies...

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Amen... one of my two anglers that day was in real trouble since the airlines lost his bag and all he had to wear was a loose fitting pair of black shorts and somebody else's donated t-shirts.... We finally found nice snook and the deer flies just ran us out of the interior.

I've been getting chewed by deer flies for so many years that I no longer welt up the way most do -but when they're even trying to bite through your shirt... that's a bit much...

On the Flamingo side we do a lot of tarpon fishing this time of year up one river or other. At dawn next to tall trees with no breeze - the no-see-ums are almost as bad. There are more than a few places I specifically stay out of until after 9Am when the breezes come along just because of no-see-ums...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amen... one of my two anglers that day was in real trouble since the airlines lost his bag and all he had to wear was a loose fitting pair of black shorts and somebody else's donated t-shirts.... We finally found nice snook and the deer flies just ran us out of the interior.

I've been getting chewed by deer flies for so many years that I no longer welt up the way most do -but when they're even trying to bite through your shirt... that's a bit much...

On the Flamingo side we do a lot of tarpon fishing this time of year up one river or other. At dawn next to tall trees with no breeze - the no-see-ums are almost as bad. There are more than a few places I specifically stay out of until after 9Am when the breezes come along just because of no-see-ums...
Amen to that

·
I Love microskiff.com!
167 Posts
That's what makes the backcountry so great. Finding untouched areas and knowing your the only one that has been there
I don’t think are any untouched areas anymore. Now with the updated gps and YouTube people are exploring everywhere. I ran into another boat yesterday in a creek that you wouldn’t hardly ever see someone, especially on a weekday!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t think are any untouched areas anymore. Now with the updated gps and YouTube people are exploring everywhere. I ran into another boat yesterday in a creek that you wouldn’t hardly ever see someone, especially on a weekday!
well there is a ton of places where GPS is useless. but again I fish so far back behind Hells Bay I wonder how I ever find my way back out.. LOL

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK Its official. I am taking my boy back into the deepest throws of Hells Bay on June 4th. If any other microskiff members will be in Flamingo then Id love to meet yall.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
In June the deer flies will run you out of most interior (way up inside) places...

That time of year we’re somewhere between Cape Sable and Lostmans… day after day

1 - 20 of 27 Posts