Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Sea level rise? What rubbish.. the decline in the lower half of the ‘glades from Palm Beach southward is directly attributable to the building of our flood control system just after WWII when the ‘glades lost the yearly flood waters coming south from Lake Okeechobee... almost entirely, the “River of Grass” began to decline from that moment.

Places like Tarpon, Whitewater, Oyster Bays -and all the rivers that feed into the south are only getting 10% of the freshwater flow they were getting before flood control... south of the ‘glades, Florida Bay is suffering from the same problem...

The next time any news outfit wants to do a story about the ‘glades they’d be well advised to talk to Michael Grunwald (who authored THE SWAMP) or our own Adam Gelber, actually in charge of Everglades restoration...

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sea level rise? What rubbish.. the decline in the lower half of the ‘glades from Palm Beach southward is directly attributable to the building of our flood control system just after WWII when the ‘glades lost the yearly flood waters coming south from Lake Okeechobee... almost entirely, the “River of Grass” began to decline from that moment.

Places like Tarpon, Whitewater, Oyster Bays -and all the rivers that feed into the south are only getting 10% of the freshwater flow they were getting before flood control... south of the ‘glades, Florida Bay is suffering from the same problem...

The next time any news outfit wants to do a story about the ‘glades they’d be well advised to talk to Michael Grunwald (who authored THE SWAMP) or our own Adam Gelber, actually in charge of Everglades restoration...
There are a total of 5 sentences referring to climate change/sea level rise as part of the much bigger problem of the water deprivation from development over the years.Yet, you piss on it even when the article points out the incredible decline of water going to the everglades, maybe it deserves a second read.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Even one sentence is too much when dealing with an internal water resource problem that’s been clearly identified- and long standing... and has absolutely nothing to do with the much hyped issue we all hear so much about.
Or you could continue to believe what you choose to believe....

I particularly love to hear politicians
loudly declaim about “sea level rise” in places where development should never have happened in the first place... And, of course they’ll be asking all of us to fund whatever fixes the come up with. That goes for coastal roads upgrading, beach “re-nourishments”, and every other time and money (tons of money actually) wasting proposition that is needed to fix (if you can even say that word with a straight face...) problems that we collectively caused ourselves.

I’ll quit now before I start yelling and throwing things...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think its a pretty good article and nicely written. The more publicity the better in making awareness. There has always been and always will be politicians unfortunately. It doesn't have to be perfect to help spread the word. I remember when the Hudson river had nothing living in it, today its an excellent fishery. No the everglades will not be like it was in the 1800's but it is possible to improve fresh water delivery and more. It would have been nice if the corp and everyone else had not screwed things up- hopefully things can be improved. If all the different groups could solidify into one effort in terms of lobbying and message it seems a more powerful effort could reap stronger results. I understand the frustration and it too has a place.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Or built like Miami Beach on swampy ground barely above sea level... I first came here, just returned from Vietnam, in 1971. That fall, folks were wringing their hands about saltwater incursion onto the streets during king tides in some of the lower portions of the town... and it was going on long before that...

A few years later when I was working as a mate on charter boats just north of there (Haulover and the old Castaways docks) I met a young man from South America who said he’d come to our area to learn how to develop their country’s tourism efforts... I told him to take a good look and not to do what we’ve done.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
It is possible to reverse and improve much of what’s been done -but it will take tons of money and years to get much done. I’d like to see some small progress in the years I have left.

What’s needed is the public will to make a solid start- then get going.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes captain Lemay it is possible, I am not saying it isn’t. I am saying it won’t happen. There may be some small changes that take place but not the fundamental changes needed to restore the natural flow of water to Florida bay. The people won’t be moved, the farms not be left fallow the pavement won’t be torn up.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are a total of 5 sentences referring to climate change/sea level rise as part of the much bigger problem of the water deprivation from development over the years.Yet, you piss on it even when the article points out the incredible decline of water going to the everglades, maybe it deserves a second read.

Have a nice day.
The only problem with those sentences is that they blame more and more on something that can't and won't be fixed, while the glades water flows could be. It just draws away from the fix for a simple scapegoat. Still a good article.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is a private, non-profit society of distinguished scholars. Established by an Act of Congress, signed by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863, the NAS is charged with providing independent, objective advice to the nation on matters related to science and technology. Scientists are elected by their peers to membership in the NAS for outstanding contributions to research. The NAS is committed to furthering science in America, and its members are active contributors to the international scientific community. Approximately 500 current and deceased members of the NAS have won Nobel Prizes, and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, founded in 1914, is today one of the premier international journals publishing the results of original research.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.