Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does your rod quiver look like for an everglades trip? I want to pick up another rod and reel, not only as a backup to my 8wt bvk but also as a second setup to compliment it. I want to be ready for pretty much everything short of big tarpon. I know that's a whole other ballgame and I don't quite have the coin or experience to go after fish as big as me. Ill be putting a bohemoth reel on whatever rod that I choose and will be staying south of $4-500 for the whole setup. Rod will most likely be a TFO mangrove. I just need to find a way to cast a few before I buy one.

Those of you who fly-fish the area often, what setups do you take?

·
Registered
570 Posts
So what does your rod quiver look like for an everglades trip? I want to pick up another rod and reel, not only as a backup to my 8wt bvk but also as a second setup to compliment it. I want to be ready for pretty much everything short of big tarpon. I know that's a whole other ballgame and I don't quite have the coin or experience to go after fish as big as me. Ill be putting a bohemoth reel on whatever rod that I choose and will be staying south of $4-500 for the whole setup. Rod will most likely be a TFO mangrove. I just need to find a way to cast a few before I buy one.

Those of you who fly-fish the area often, what setups do you take?
If you are mostly targeting snook/reds/small tarpon, an 8 wt with a floating line is what I throw 90% of the time. I bring a backup 8 because.....well its the Everglades. Next would be a 10wt with sinking line. Good for the rivers where larger fish hold on deep structure. If you wanted a specialty rod, I would look at a shorter (under 9ft) 8 wt or even 9 wt. Unless I am sight fishing laid up fish in the open bays or outside, I tend to do A LOT of blind casting under mangroves or in small creek mouths. A shorter rod will help with the short accurate casts and help you rake the big fish out a little faster.

Honestly you could bring the whole quiver of line weights but I never see a need to go under 8wt. Even though you may be catching 20" snook every cast, you never know when that 40" is going to show up (seems to happens at least once every trip), and you best not have the 6wt in your hand. If you don't really have tarpon in mind for this trip, I think a shorter 9 wt would compliment your 8 wt pretty well out there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can fish the Glades with nothing but a #8 if you’re not targeting big tarpon. I fish down there all year and rarely fish anything other than a #9 for snook, reds, and baby tarpon and a #11 for big tarpon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are mostly targeting snook/reds/small tarpon............
You can fish the Glades with nothing but a #8 if you’re not targeting big tarpon. I fish down there all year and rarely fish anything other than a #9 for snook, reds, and baby tarpon and a #11 for big tarpon.
I have been wanting another 8 anyways because of the reputation of the BVK being prone to breakage. I broke a rod in the the campground on day one getting them out of the car on my first trip down there. My wifes rod too. That sucked. I went over to Ye Olde florida fly shop and bought a few of his shop rods to use for the rest of the trip. Now that I have a boat they stay assembled and in the rod holders so the risk of stupid breakages are a little less.

If I can sell a few other toys ill pick up a 10wt too. My local fly shop shut down and aside from a cabelas and an orvis store I have no way to go cast rods before buying.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I tell all of my anglers that you should be able to do just about everything you want down in the 'glades with two fly rods - an 8 and a 10wt... As someone has already said - a floating line for the 8wt and a full intermediate (very slow sinker) for the 10wt (and maybe a spare floating line for that 10wt...

We routinely beat 80lb fish out in open bays with only a 10wt - but for bigger fish, or big fish in rivers... that's when you'll need an 11 or 12wt....

That 10wt with an intermediate really opens up the world when using bigger flies - or simply needing your fly at a particular depth (something an 8wt with a floater doesn't work very well for at all....).

·
Sight Fishing South Florida
826 Posts
As others have said, an 8 and 10 wt is the way to go. Both with floating lines. We fished the Spring Backcountry Fly this past Friday and Saturday in the park with SE winds up to 20knts. It was nearly impossible to cast the 8wt anywhere but down wind while throwing the 10 you cross cast and punch short shots directly into the wind. It saved the tournament for us!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tell all of my anglers that you should be able to do just about everything you want down in the 'glades with two fly rods - an 8 and a 10wt.....
Thanks Bob, you have been extremely helpful with your advice and knowledge. I really appreciate it.

As others have said, an 8 and 10 wt is the way to go......
Sounds like the way to go is 8 and 10. Thanks for the advice, and as @backbone said Congrats!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I tell all of my anglers that you should be able to do just about everything you want down in the 'glades with two fly rods - an 8 and a 10wt... As someone has already said - a floating line for the 8wt and a full intermediate (very slow sinker) for the 10wt (and maybe a spare floating line for that 10wt...

We routinely beat 80lb fish out in open bays with only a 10wt - but for bigger fish, or big fish in rivers... that's when you'll need an 11 or 12wt....

That 10wt with an intermediate really opens up the world when using bigger flies - or simply needing your fly at a particular depth (something an 8wt with a floater doesn't work very well for at all....).
This above I mean honestly who fishes the Everglades more than him?!?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Last time i went i brought:

sage bass 2 smallmouth 290
orvis recon 8wt
G loomis CC GLX 10wt

I used the sage bass rod 90% of the time. It is such a great rod for pounding the mangrove edges. And has good backbone.. I got a 10lb snook and 10lb tarpon on it and it handled no problem.

I used the 8wt recon when we went to a place to specifically sight fish snook

10wt for tarpon

and the guide had a 12wt with intermediate when necessarry

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last time i went i brought:

sage bass 2 smallmouth 290
orvis recon 8wt
G loomis CC GLX 10wt...........
That Sage bass 2 looks like a pretty slick rod. Its a bit more than I care to spend on a fly rod right now, however Redington makes a 7'11" predator that could fit the bill. I have yet to cast on of those though. I do have a cabelas fiberglas 8wt thats pretty short. I may just set this one up for the tighter mangrove areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts