Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again... just got this email

National Park Service News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: July 31, 2020
Park Information: [email protected], 305-242-7700

Everglades National Park closes for Hurricane Isaias, Dry Tortugas National Park remains open

HOMESTEAD, Fla. - On Friday, July 31, Everglades National Park will temporarily close park entrances and visitor facilities at 7 p.m. in preparation for Hurricane Isaias for the safety of visitors and staff. Park concession-operated boat tours, services and rentals will also suspend operations on Friday afternoon.
Marine waters will remain open for boating, but emergency services will be extremely limited after Friday.
No wilderness camping permits will be issued until further notice.
Vessels may seek safe harbor in the area of Ponce De Leon Bay, the Little Shark River between marker 1 and marker 69, and the main tributary of the Shark River. The Flamingo Marina will be closed. Chickees are also closed and vessels are not permitted to tie off to chickees.
All closures will remain in place until severe weather passes and the National Park Service makes a determination that employee and visitor facilities are safe. Current status will be posted as an alert on the park’s website.
Dry Tortugas National Park remains open. Ferry and seaplane tours will continue taking visitors to the islands as weather permits. There is no overnight camping.
If the storm track changes, the parks may issue a new advisory with updated status. Please check “Alerts” on the parks' websites for current information. The NPS Hurricane and Severe Weather Response has updates for all National Park Service sites.

For more information about Dry Tortugas National Park, visit nps.gov/drto or follow the park on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
For more information about Everglades National Park, visit nps.gov/ever or follow the park on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

About the National Park Service. More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America's 419 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Learn more at www.nps.gov, and on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

Wellington Felix
Commercial Use Authorization Coordinator
Office # 305-242-7744
[email protected]
South Florida National Parks and Preserve
Everglades, Dry Tortugas, Biscayne and Big Cypress
40001 SR 9336
Homestead FL, 33034

·
Registered
480 Posts
Capt Bob, will this shutdown for the hurricane morph into another COVID shutdown? All the news outlets are questioning why the parks, etc are still open, as you well know.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course Chokoloskee/ Everglades City are right on the Park’s boundary so they can’t be shut down (thank heavens)...
My only concern is how long access to Flamingo will cut off....

The Park’s usual routine over many years is pretty simple. If you even say the word “hurricane” they lock the gates - and won’t re-open until they’ve cleaned up...

·
Registered
157 Posts
We were at the Flamingo campground and after a day of fishing on Wednesday we found a note taped to the picnic table saying we had to be out by noon on Thursday. Disappointed in losing 2 days of fishing but understand that they need to prepare for the storm.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I’ve reached the conclusion that the Feds will jump at the chance to give themselves a paid vacation. I would not be surprised if the Park remains closed indefinitely due to COVID...after the storm has passed.

Reactions: fishnpreacher

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other hassle I'm expecting is that no one will bother to tell us when they are open again -at least not in all the years I've been running that area both as a recreational type many years ago - and the last 25 years as a permitted guide.... SO.... on Monday morning I'll start calling the marina store (352) 701-6581 to find out what's shaking down at Flamingo... Of course the gate might be open while the facilities are still closed down there - for that I have another number....

Thank heavens for Chokoloskee since that can't be closed down by the Park....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
116 Posts
I fished on Friday before the shut down. A little choppy and windy, but the fish cooperated well. Glad they are opening again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts