Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a booking on Monday down at Flamingo I contacted the Park this morning to find out if they're closed. As of 9Am this morning (Saturday) the gates are open -but any facilities might only be partially functioning... That means we'll be able to access the ramps down at Flamingo.
Since communications with Park officials are always sketchy (understatement) I'll re-check this tomorrow afternoon find out what the situation is then..... and post it here as an update.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Krash - the summary you've posted says it all....

Not one bit of direct notice to guides, though... pretty much business as usual.

One thing very clear, is that the Park Service under this current administration isn't operating at all the way the previous administration did... I can still recall how they literally locked down all the National Parks and actually paid rangers to patrol during the closure to keep folks out....

If we have to have a closure - allowing folks into their parks is a great idea...

Note the emphasis on exactly who "owns" our parks... that wasn't accidental on my part at all. Sometimes when dealing with folks who work for government you get the feeling that they don't believe that at all... This from a former "good bureaucrat" who worked for local government until I retired out 23 years ago...

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure that anyone who thinks a wall is “useless” never spent any time in a war zone...

We’re not at that point now... pray that we never get there.

I didn’t need Vietnam (101st Abn, USARV, 1971) to learn that lesson... but it sure did leave an impression...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well, back to the park closing. I hope it remains open, I might have a chance to make a trip after the new year. Please keep us apprised Captain Lemay.

·
Registered
928 Posts
All for a useless wall
Be sure and leave your keys in your car and your house wide open tonight so as not to look like a total hypocrite based on your comment. We don’t need TX, AZ and the rest of the US to become another Venezuela.

Reactions: FSUDrew99 and tx8er

·
Registered
358 Posts
I figure that anyone who thinks a wall is “useless” never spent any time in a war zone...

We’re not at that point now... pray that we never get there.

I didn’t need Vietnam (101st Abn, USARV, 1971) to learn that lesson... but it sure did leave an impression...
Bob, while not useless.... we should remember that according to army doctrine, an obstacle is not an obstacle unless it's observed... meaning you can actually do something about it when someone is attempting to breech it. This wall without the resources to observe every foot of it and actually respond immediately will not be very effective. There are already tunnels underneath the border. It won't do much for cartels trafficking people and drugs.

(1AD, Baghdad 2003-2004; 1CAV Baghdad 2006-2008, 4ID Afghanistan 2010-2011)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Be sure and leave your keys in your car and your house wide open tonight so as not to look like a total hypocrite based on your comment. We don’t need TX, AZ and the rest of the US to become another Venezuela.
I used to live in El Paso and could see Juarez when looking down the mountain from my driveway. I'd leave my doors unlocked there before I would in Tampa much less a place like Memphis, Baltimore, Chicago, etc.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I used to live in El Paso and could see Juarez when looking down the mountain from my driveway. I'd leave my doors unlocked there before I would in Tampa much less a place like Memphis, Baltimore, Chicago, etc.
Funny, I grew up in El Paso for part of my childhood and many of the houses had bars on their windows for added security. If I was on Ft. Bliss I might feel more secure but we didn't leave anything unlocked there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Funny, I grew up in El Pass for part of my childhood and many of the houses had bars on their windows for added security. If I was on Ft. Bliss I might feel more secure but we didn't leave anything unlocked there.
You must have been on the east side, I was on west side in the Franklin Mountains. Just pointing out that socioeconomics have more to do with safety than race or immigration. The Wall is about as relevant to the situation in Venezuela as Maduro is to to the red tide on the SW coast.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
The West side was really just starting to get developed when I lived there late 80's.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So, if I'm a victim of crime its must be from an illegal immigrant???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts