Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting January 1, boaters in the Everglades National Park will be required to have a valid Boater Permit. This can be obtained only after taking an online course and passing an assessment with a score of 80 or higher. The Permit must be presented as a paper copy or saved as an image accessible on an electronic device if requested by a law enforcement officer. The cost is $50. You can save yourself some money by taking the course and assessment prior to January 1. Here's a link to the course: http://provalenslearning.com/national-park-service/everglades-boater-education-course

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Starting January 1, boaters in the Everglades National Park will be required to have a valid Boater Permit. This can be obtained only after taking an online course and passing an assessment with a score of 80 or higher. The Permit must be presented as a paper copy or saved as an image accessible on an electronic device if requested by a law enforcement officer. The cost is $50. You can save yourself some money by taking the course and assessment prior to January 1. Here's a link to the course: http://provalenslearning.com/national-park-service/everglades-boater-education-course
DONE!

Thanks @DBStoots for the heads up.

·
Carpe Diem
1,699 Posts
Unfortunately, there's no legislation or educational requirements that will "thin out" idiots. Want proof? How many licensed idiots did you encounter last time you drove your car any significant distance?

The requirement to have a permit and pass a test sounds like a wonderful idea, but it's "feel good" legislation that actually distracts from real solutions to real problems. If the goal is responsible behavior in ENP, the only way to achieve it is by strict enforcement of rules and severe penalties for violations. Of course, requiring a permit makes money, while hiring more rangers costs money.

·
0 Posts
Question - who will be enforcing this?

I have never been stopped by a ranger on the water in the park. Only been approached at ramp by rangers asking about catch. I've been stopped by fwc and Collier county deputy but not in the park.

Will they ask to see it at the gate if boat is in tow? I'm usually there early/late and gate isn’t manned. Will they check when reserving camping spot in person?

·
Administrator
5,762 Posts
Question - who will be enforcing this?

I have never been stopped by a ranger on the water in the park. Only been approached at ramp by rangers asking about catch. I've been stopped by fwc and Collier county deputy but not in the park.

Will they ask to see it at the gate if boat is in tow? I'm usually there early/late and gate isn’t manned. Will they check when reserving camping spot in person?
its more about collecting than enforcing...
rangers are few and travel between choko/ mingo , but when the fwc/ local leo get the nod to enforce this then the $ starts flowin'...... yes its always easier to get you at the ramp.
there will be classes and vestibules set up for you at the gate to participate.:cool:
$50.00 / head..... fines could be more? who knows.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just took it and passed. Its good for a year. What I thought it said was the test was to continue to be free , but there is a launch fee 25$ for a weekly use and 50$ for a yearly launch fee. But i could be wrong.

·
0 Posts
its more about collecting than enforcing...
rangers are few and travel between choko/ mingo , but when the fwc/ local leo get the nod to enforce this then the $ starts flowin'...... yes its always easier to get you at the ramp.
there will be classes and vestibules set up for you at the gate to participate.:cool:
$50.00 / head..... fines could be more? who knows.
I have never seen FWC/local police in the park. How can they enforce it outside the park ?

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
725 Posts
This is interesting to me. Years ago when Padre Island National Seashore proposed changing the down island speed limit from 25 to 15 mph during turtle nesting season, I suggested that instead they restrict all traffic and require similar “training”. My idea being this would take the thrill craft folks out of the equation and still allow reasonable access. They said too expensive to do and dropped it to 15 with no reason to back it up. 60 miles of beach @ 15 MPH...

Anyhow, NPS has a great task with little funding and I support their efforts to preserve the parks and keep PUBLIC ACCESS. Kinda hard to do both, but I’d be happy to pay them more to access the park.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
96 Posts
Thank you very much for the heads up !

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
No, it will not be enforced by outside agencies since the permit is not a law... Yes, it will be lightly enforced- unless you’re on the Chokoloskee side of the Park... The only possible exception will be when Biscayne National Park rangers are requested to assist (mostly at the front gate...).

As you can guess the Park is trying to “enhance revenues”while also (hopefully) changing behavior...

Now if they’ll just bring their facilities back up to some minimal standard (still no fish cutting table down at Flamingo-not even a temporary one, almost 18 months after Irma...).

And for those not aware... the Park’s western boundary is pretty much Chokoloskee....

·
0 Posts
No, it will not be enforced by outside agencies since the permit is not a law... Yes, it will be lightly enforced- unless you’re on the Chokoloskee side of the Park... The only possible exception will be when Biscayne National Park rangers are requested to assist (mostly at the front gate...).

As you can guess the Park is trying to “enhance revenues”while also (hopefully) changing behavior...

Now if they’ll just bring their facilities back up to some minimal standard (still no fish cutting table down at Flamingo-not even a temporary one, almost 18 months after Irma...).

And for those not aware... the Park’s western boundary is pretty much Chokoloskee....
Will they ask to see it if you have a boat in tow at the gate? Or when reserving a campsite ?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts