Everglades and Florida Bay

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Blue Zone, Apr 24, 2016.

1. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

A positive move on Scott's part. NOW, the deal making process begins, with the hope that they start before my 100th birthday !! Just imagine the $$$ that will come into play for contracts......:) :eek: o_O :confused: I am so THANKFUL that our young & future fishing folks may have the opportunity to fish a renewed EVERGLADES when many of us have seen our last sunset !

Blue Zone and sjrobin like this.
  2. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

Here's another note from Sandy; well done to all who participated!:

[​IMG]
    A Message from Sandy Moret
    Last week, Governor Rick Scott signed Senate Bill 10 into law, clearing the way for a reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee to store, clean and properly convey freshwater. The historic occasion was the culmination of an extended effort by thousands of organizations, companies and individuals and was led through the Florida Legislature by Senator Joe Negron. I extend my deepest gratitude to everyone who played a part in pushing this legislation through. It marks an important step in the fight to restore the Everglades. Days later, U.S. Rep. Brian Mast introduced federal legislation to help expedite the process.

Despite this significant progress, we must remain vigilant to ensure that this legislation is implemented in a timely manner, and that the many other planned components to restore the Everglades are also put in place. Strong forces still oppose our progress, and we must continue to fight them at every turn and present a united front as the Now or Neverglades coalition, currently 60,500 strong.

This moment could not have been achieved without the hard work and dedication of each and every one of you. Thank you for your support of the Now or Neverglades coalition, and for your continued work to help us save the Everglades.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now or Neverglades Declaration

60,500 have signed the declaration to date.
    If you haven't signed the declaration, sign today, and if you have, share this email with your friends!

Text 'SOUTH' to 91990' to sign a mobile-friendly NON declaration.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In The News
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rick Scott signs SB 10, the Lake Okeechobee restoration plan, into law

Gov. Rick Scott signed legislation Tuesday pledging $800 million in bonds toward Senate President Joe Negron's signature project - a $1.5 billion plan to restore Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades by building a reservoir south of the lake.

Source: Florida Politics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thumb Up: Mast bill could expedite reservoir

TC Palm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Carl Hiaasen: Help for Everglades on the way (possibly)

Cautious praise for the compromise passage of Senate Bill 10 is deserved. Celebration would be foolish.

The fractured Florida Legislature has agreed to fund a deep reservoir for holding polluted discharges from Lake Okeechobee, with the aim of sparing coastal communities from tourism-killing algae blooms and fish kills.

The $1.6 billion reservoir won't be as big as the one sought by Senate President Joe Negron, but it would be big enough to make a difference. And it's way better than nothing, which is what lawmakers in the House were poised to do.

Source: TC Palm

3. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

WE must keep contacting politicians; local,state,federal and Corp of Engineers. And please remember next year....VOTE !!! Remind the pols that you do!

Blue Zone likes this.
  4. I got that one from Sandy today too. Its exciting stuff, hopefully the pressure will stay on the politicians and we will see some positive movement.

Blue Zone likes this.
  5. Blue Zone

The next log in the path is the release of the CERP funds by the US Congress. I understand these funds are to be used for the actual construction of the reservoir; it's supposed to be a 50/50 deal with FL providing the land.

6. Blue Zone

Update from Sandy Moret:

[​IMG]
    Last month marked a major legislative victory for Everglades restoration, the culmination of the hard work of many lawmakers, individuals, companies and organizations. Still, there is much work to be done, and we need to keep the pressure on to ensure that the legislation - calling for building a reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee to store, clean and convey freshwater - becomes a reality.

Below is a timeline of important milestones to ensure Senate Bill 10 is implemented in a timely manner and the reservoir is built.

We have won a major victory, but now is not the time for complacency. Thank you for helping us keep the pressure on to ensure a brighter future for the Florida Everglades.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

61,600 have signed the declaration to date.
    If you haven't signed the declaration, sign today, and if you have, share this email with your friends!

In The News

[​IMG]
    Lawmakers act to curb "scary" trend in Everglades - but another danger lurks

The reservoir project has a long way to go. Congress has to approve the federal share of funding the project, and then it still has to be built. Out of 68 projects were proposed in that master Everglades restoration plan, only six are currently under construction.

Source: CBS

[​IMG]
    Congress to consider removing roadblocks to Everglades help

A bipartisan team of Florida congressmen proposes removing congressional roadblocks to building reservoirs, pollution-filtering marshes and other Everglades restoration projects.

The goal is to allow long-planned, construction-ready Everglades projects to proceed, instead of having to wait years for additional congressional approval.

Source: Sun Sentinel

[​IMG]
    Last year's St. Lucie River blooms contained 28 kinds of blue-green algae

"It's not just a single organism out there that has the potential to cause a harmful algal bloom," Rosen said. "There are a multitude of species, each with their own ability to create blooms, all of which can cause oxygen deprivation in water that can kill fish, and many with the ability to create toxins harmful to wildlife or people."

Source: TC Palm

[​IMG]
    Big Sugar's Assault on the Everglades

"There's probably no better example in U.S. history of a case of both legal plunder and crony capitalism that has been tolerated for so many years, and that has picked more money from the pockets of Americans," than the sugar program, says American Enterprise Institute economist Mark J. Perry.

Source: Palm Beach Post

7. Blue Zone

An update from Sandy Moret. Such a sensitive balance; either too much rain or not enough...

[​IMG]
    "It's an emergency in the Everglades," said Ron Bergeron, commissioner for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Heavy rains in the past few weeks in South Florida have continued to highlight what we already know - the reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee is needed to help properly store, clean and convey fresh water. Without it, the state is left with only poor choices for how to manage the flooding, inevitably putting coastal communities, our waterways, ecosystems and many species of animals, fish and birds at grave risk. The situation is urgent, and this has to stop. We need to keep the pressure on and ensure that the reservoir is built in a timely manner so we can prevent the cycle of catastrophic drought and flooding from happening in the future.

Thank you for your continued support of our efforts.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

The fifty thousand residents south of the lake could be relocated using sugar subsidies(your tax dollars). Much more efficient than building a reservoir. Theodore Roosevelt could have made it happen.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    trekker likes this.
  9. Blue Zone

That's a problematic from a couple of different angles:
    • The population in the effected effected towns of South Bay and Belle Glade would have to go somewhere. Belle Glade is a thriving community; they even have a McDonalds. The cost of buyout would be prohibitive.
    • Eminent Domain was a deal-breaker for the original reservoir land in a much less populated area and certainly couldn't be applied in this case.
    • Then there is another much greater populated area that would be affected. The I-75 extension is basically built on a dike, blocking a natural flow directly South and can only be moved through a complicated system of canals. Then there is Rt.41 crossing the state further South again blocking natural flow.
    • The water in Lake Okeechobee is pretty close to toxic with decades of sludge. The Lake water needs to be treated anyway.
    • The sugar subsidies are wrongly, but neatly tucked away inside the Farm Bill.
    The whole situation is an incredible mess. A couple of weeks ago the news was that the Glades is getting too much rain this year limiting dry ground for wildlife.

It's either feast or famine for the Glades thanks to man's misguided attempt to fool with Mother Nature.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    trekker likes this.
  10. Blue Zone

Part 1 of 3

Here is the latest news from Sandy and some recent articles. Sandy seems pretty optimistic about the new head of SFWMD.

The article on the algae bloom in the Lake is a concern. Thankfully, the Lake started the wet season 5' below last year and now stands at 4' below last year today, so huge discharges should not be needed.

I have run back and forth across the Lake several times since the 70's and it has been a shame to see it deteriorate over the years. Now you can tell something is wrong just by looking at it and smelling it. Big sugar takes a lot of heat for this, but but the mills and fields are mainly South and Southwest of the Lake; the real culprit is inflow from the Kissimmee which needs to be cleaned up.

A lot of issues out there, Appalachicola, IRL, Lake Okeechobee and the Glades that affect most of us on here in one way or another. Stand up, man up and be heard when you have the chance. If you find yourself down Islamorada way, stop in and thank Sandy for all the effort he has put into this. Maybe buy a hat or something...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  11. Blue Zone

Part 2 of 3

Anyway, here's Sandy's note:

Are we entering a new era for the South Florida Water Management District? Environmentalists are hopeful that the answer is yes, as scientist Ernie Marks was just tapped to take over the Executive Director of the SFWMD role, replacing Peter Antonacci.

Unlike Antonacci, whose main qualification was being general counsel to Governor Scott, Marks has a background in science and is highly qualified for the role. He has been working for the district as the director of Everglades policy and coordination, and previously served as the south region director for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC). Prior to that, he spent 13 years working for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

Hopefully, science will be put back behind the wheel. That includes reestablishing ties to the National Academy of Sciences, beginning the scientific modeling laid out in SB10 to ensure there is sufficient land for the treatment needs of the 240-360K EAA reservoir, and tabling deep well injection, which was never a part of CERP, already objected to by the Army Corps of Engineers and would shortchange southern storage (needed for Florida Bay in drought conditions) by wasting water underground.

It's time to let science and reason prevail. The appointment of Marks gives us cautious optimism that they will.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]

Islamorada, FL

[​IMG]

12. Blue Zone

Part 3 of 3

Now or Neverglades has a new website!

Check it out and stay up to date on the issues.

www.gladesdeclaration.org

[​IMG]

The Now or Neverglades Declaration is more important than ever. 64,157have signed it to date, and we want to get 100,000 signatures by the end of the year.

In The News

[​IMG]

South Florida Water Management District names Everglades expert as new leader

The choice of Ernie Marks - who is highly qualified for the job and has a science background - drew praise from environmental organizations.

Source: Sun Sentinel

[​IMG]

Worrisome algae bloom erupts on Lake Okeechobee

The algae bloom in Lake Okeechobee is significant and growing. The only thing preventing catastrophic dumping into the surrounding waterways has been drought conditions this spring, but with heavy rain in recent weeks, the water levels in Lake Okeechobee are rising.

Source: Tampa Bay Times

[​IMG]

Army Corps needs more time on Everglades reservoir plan

The Army Corps of Engineers says it will need another month to figure out how to join in the plan for the EAA Reservoir. Part of SB 10 requires the SFWMD to request the Army Corps assist in developing a report on revisions needed to increase water storage south of Lake Okeechobee.

13. Blue Zone

On the Lake business, I saw an interview with Scott yesterday relating a conversation he had with Trump about pushing for shoring up the dyke. The Corps of Engineers have been doing this for years. The real need is for them to start on the reservoir; not sure why this was not addressed at the same time.