Everglades and Florida Bay

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Blue Zone, Apr 24, 2016.

1. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

2. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for posting. Just pathetic. $41m to lose the water war with Georgia? I wonder what Georgia spent to win. Other things in there smell pretty bad, especiallyy when they have 450 of their own attorneys. At least pick a fight you can win, not just to make a statement.

On another note, for the past couple of months, Orvis has been putting this in their catalogues which go out every 10 days or 2 weeks. I posted this before, but it disappeared:

IMG_1189.jpg

Aside from donating 5% to worthy causes like Everglades Trust, they are now doing a matching funds deal with the Everglades Trust up to $45. So if your inclined to donate, do it through Orvis on their site and they will match it.

Megalops, sjrobin and yobata like this.

3. Blue Zone

Here's a minor update:

Thank you for contacting Senator Steube regarding SB 10: Water Resources by Senator Bradley. Senator Steube supports the plan for Everglades Restoration, and will examine the legislation when it comes before the Senate for a vote. At this time, SB 10 has passed the first two committees of reference, and is now in Appropriations. If passed, it will move on to the Senate Floor.

For more information on SB 10, please visit https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2017/0010 .

I also recommend, using the Florida Senate Bill Tracker system. You can choose which bills to follow and have updates sent right to your email. For more information on the Senate Bill Tracker, please visit https://www.flsenate.gov/Login?referrer=http://www.flsenate.gov/Tracker .

Again, thank you for contacting Senator Steube. If our office can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

4. Blue Zone

Note from Sandy
    [​IMG]
    A Message from Sandy Moret

Business leaders like Perk Perkins of The Orvis Company gathered in Tallahassee a few days ago to meet with Governor Scott and other legislators to share stories of how Florida's water crisis has affected their businesses, employees and the wider community.

The ecological impacts of the toxic water have been visible and profound - we have all seen the photos of the algal blooms, dead fish, birds and animals. But the impacts to the economy and individual businesses have also been substantial, deeply affecting Florida's communities and quality of life.

One community that has been seriously affected is the angling and boating industry. On April 11th, many of them will come together in Tallahassee for Now or Neverglades Sportfishing Day to remind elected officials about the impacts the water crisis has had on them.

I want to share something posted by Captain Benny Blanco, a guide who has been fishing around the Everglades for over 20 years. On a recent fishing outing in Florida Bay, he poled for hours through barren mud that was devoid of life. Just when hope was lost, the boat came upon a pair of rare flamingos wading peacefully, a sign from mother nature that she was watching. After reflecting on that moment and the need to protect the Everglades, he quoted Margaret Mead:
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

I hope you will consider joining us for this historic day. Collectively, we can make our voices heard and fix Florida's water.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL

Call to Action
    [​IMG]

HELP SAVE FLORIDA'S ESTUARIES!

On April 11, hundreds will gather in Tallahassee to make our collective voices heard. Together we will meet with legislators from our districts and from all parts of Florida.

Our elected officials need to hear from ALL of us - Captains. Fishing Guides. Anglers. Together, we will remind them how important Florida's Everglades and Estuaries are to our businesses and quality of life. Please join us and be a part of this historic event.

If you can't join us in Tallahassee, make your voice heard by dialing 844-505-2887 to be connected with your legislator, prompted with talking points.

[​IMG]
    Now or Neverglades Declaration

We are humbled by the outpouring of support for the Now or Neverglades Declaration, with over 56,000 of you signing it to date. In a few weeks, hundreds of sportsmen and women will gather in Tallahassee to make their voices heard.

We need your help getting 60,000 signatures before then. If you haven't signed it, sign today, and if you have, share this email with your friends!

Text 'SOUTH' to 91990' to sign a mobile-friendly NON declaration.