Everglades and Florida Bay

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Blue Zone, Apr 24, 2016.

1. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

2. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for posting. Just pathetic. $41m to lose the water war with Georgia? I wonder what Georgia spent to win. Other things in there smell pretty bad, especiallyy when they have 450 of their own attorneys. At least pick a fight you can win, not just to make a statement.

On another note, for the past couple of months, Orvis has been putting this in their catalogues which go out every 10 days or 2 weeks. I posted this before, but it disappeared:

IMG_1189.jpg

Aside from donating 5% to worthy causes like Everglades Trust, they are now doing a matching funds deal with the Everglades Trust up to $45. So if your inclined to donate, do it through Orvis on their site and they will match it.

Megalops, sjrobin and yobata like this.

3. Blue Zone

Here's a minor update:

Thank you for contacting Senator Steube regarding SB 10: Water Resources by Senator Bradley. Senator Steube supports the plan for Everglades Restoration, and will examine the legislation when it comes before the Senate for a vote. At this time, SB 10 has passed the first two committees of reference, and is now in Appropriations. If passed, it will move on to the Senate Floor.

For more information on SB 10, please visit https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2017/0010 .

I also recommend, using the Florida Senate Bill Tracker system. You can choose which bills to follow and have updates sent right to your email. For more information on the Senate Bill Tracker, please visit https://www.flsenate.gov/Login?referrer=http://www.flsenate.gov/Tracker .

Again, thank you for contacting Senator Steube. If our office can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

4. Blue Zone

Note from Sandy
    [​IMG]
    A Message from Sandy Moret

Business leaders like Perk Perkins of The Orvis Company gathered in Tallahassee a few days ago to meet with Governor Scott and other legislators to share stories of how Florida's water crisis has affected their businesses, employees and the wider community.

The ecological impacts of the toxic water have been visible and profound - we have all seen the photos of the algal blooms, dead fish, birds and animals. But the impacts to the economy and individual businesses have also been substantial, deeply affecting Florida's communities and quality of life.

One community that has been seriously affected is the angling and boating industry. On April 11th, many of them will come together in Tallahassee for Now or Neverglades Sportfishing Day to remind elected officials about the impacts the water crisis has had on them.

I want to share something posted by Captain Benny Blanco, a guide who has been fishing around the Everglades for over 20 years. On a recent fishing outing in Florida Bay, he poled for hours through barren mud that was devoid of life. Just when hope was lost, the boat came upon a pair of rare flamingos wading peacefully, a sign from mother nature that she was watching. After reflecting on that moment and the need to protect the Everglades, he quoted Margaret Mead:
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

I hope you will consider joining us for this historic day. Collectively, we can make our voices heard and fix Florida's water.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL

Call to Action
    [​IMG]

HELP SAVE FLORIDA'S ESTUARIES!

On April 11, hundreds will gather in Tallahassee to make our collective voices heard. Together we will meet with legislators from our districts and from all parts of Florida.

Our elected officials need to hear from ALL of us - Captains. Fishing Guides. Anglers. Together, we will remind them how important Florida's Everglades and Estuaries are to our businesses and quality of life. Please join us and be a part of this historic event.

If you can't join us in Tallahassee, make your voice heard by dialing 844-505-2887 to be connected with your legislator, prompted with talking points.

[​IMG]
    Now or Neverglades Declaration

We are humbled by the outpouring of support for the Now or Neverglades Declaration, with over 56,000 of you signing it to date. In a few weeks, hundreds of sportsmen and women will gather in Tallahassee to make their voices heard.

We need your help getting 60,000 signatures before then. If you haven't signed it, sign today, and if you have, share this email with your friends!

Text 'SOUTH' to 91990' to sign a mobile-friendly NON declaration.

5. Blue Zone

The latest message Part 1.

[​IMG]
    Last week, fishing guides gathered in Islamorada on a windy day, spelling out the word "HELP" with flats skiffs, yet another plea for change from some of those most affected by the ongoing water crisis in South Florida. I recently wrote a piece about how much I've seen the South Florida fishery change since I started fishing down here in the 1970s. For those who are on the water daily making a living, the changes are profound and heartbreaking.

Tomorrow, many captains and anglers from around Florida are taking days off of work to travel to Tallahassee to make their voices heard, imploring lawmakers to follow what was outlined by the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan in 2000 and build the reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee to help store, clean and properly convey fresh water, sending more water south to Florida Bay.

Whether or not you are able to attend tomorrow's event, I thank you for your support of the Now or Neverglades movement. We have come a long way in our fight for Everglades restoration, and it is the grassroots effort of people like you that is making an indelible impact.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL
    [​IMG] Urgent Call to Action
    [​IMG]
    Now or Neverglades Sportfishing Day TOMORROW

[​IMG]

HELP SAVE FLORIDA'S ESTUARIES!
    Tomorrow at 4 pm at the Edison Restaurant in Tallahassee, hundreds will gather to make our collective voices heard. Together we will meet with legislators from our districts and from all parts of Florida. We will also hear from Senator Negron and other legislators regarding the importance of southern storage to reduce the discharges and bring water south to the Everglades & Florida Bay. We hope to see you there!

If you can't join us in Tallahassee, Text the word WATER to 52886 and help us make a difference!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now or Neverglades Declaration

Nearly 59,000 have signed the declaration to date. Tomorrow, hundreds of sportsmen and women will gather in Tallahassee to make their voices heard.
    If you haven't signed the declaration, sign today, and if you have, share this email with your friends!

Text 'SOUTH' to 91990' to sign a mobile-friendly NON declaration.

6. Blue Zone

Part 2

[​IMG]
    Algae reached Islamorada this week

by Chris Maroney, co-founder of Bullsugar.org

We don't want to inconvenience the sugar industry any more than necessary to stop the destruction of the St Lucie and Caloosahatchee estuaries. We certainly don't want to derail this bill, which has taken so much effort and courage on the part of so many. But slashing the size of the reservoir at the 11th hour by 33 percent? C'mon. We know that the brunt of this short-change will fall on the people of Fort Myers and Stuart, and that's already been happening for far too long. But we've also learned that in times of drought, Everglades National Park and the Keys are in the crosshairs. Stuart's problem is Islamorada's problem too, and the solution is storing, treating, and sending *enough* clean freshwater south to keep all three estuaries in balance.

Source: Bullsugar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Negron offers compromise plan to build Everglades reservoir

Senate President Joe Negron on Tuesday filed a sweeping rewrite of his top priority legislation to build a reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee, abandoning plans to buy up to 60,000 acres of agriculture land and relying on more state-owned and state-leased sugar fields to store and clean water to be sent into Florida Bay.

Source: Miami Herald
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peanut bonefish, shifting baselines, and Florida's water crisis

by Sandy Moret

As an active Member of the Florida Congressional Delegation when the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP) was negotiated, authorized and passed in 2000, I read with dismay the recent public comments by state Rep. Matthew Caldwell, R-North Fort Myers, that pursuing a reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee would "disrupt Everglades progress."

Caldwell favors "more time." I think seventeen years is a long wait. I had hopes my grandchildren wouldn't have to swim and fish in stinky, degraded water discharged from Lake O. My response to Rep. Caldwell is, "enough is enough; don't tell me to wait 'til 2025. That was never the intent of CERP." It appears that timeline is an arbitrary distraction conjured up by those with a different "plan."

Source: Gink and Gasoline
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    South reservoir part of CERP's intended purpose

by Porter Goss

As an active Member of the Florida Congressional Delegation when the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP) was negotiated, authorized and passed in 2000, I read with dismay the recent public comments by state Rep. Matthew Caldwell, R-North Fort Myers, that pursuing a reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee would "disrupt Everglades progress."

Caldwell favors "more time." I think seventeen years is a long wait. I had hopes my grandchildren wouldn't have to swim and fish in stinky, degraded water discharged from Lake O. My response to Rep. Caldwell is, "enough is enough; don't tell me to wait 'til 2025. That was never the intent of CERP." It appears that timeline is an arbitrary distraction conjured up by those with a different "plan."

Source: News Press

7. Blue Zone

Part 3
    South reservoir part of CERP's intended purpose

by Porter Goss

Source: News Press

[​IMG]
    What's stopping the vulnerable Everglades from being healed?

The Florida Everglades are critical to the survival of local birds, reptiles and millions of people. As urban development has increased, the incredibly rare and bio-diverse habitat has become vulnerable to rising sea water encroachment. Billions of dollars have been spent on restoration, but both science and politics have made efforts more complicated. Special correspondent Duarte Geraldino reports.

Source: PBS

Please consider supporting our non-profit founding partners:

8. Blue Zone

Well SB 10 passed the Senate last week. There were some amendments attached, so we will see how that shakes out. The prohibition of the use of eminent domain (as below) doesn't look so good to me.

SB 10: Water Resources. This bill provides a solution to the plague of harmful, polluted releases and toxic blue-green algae by expanding southern water storage, while respecting the interests of the agricultural community and the rights of private landowners. It expressly prohibits the use of eminent domain, leveraging land already owned by the State of Florida and the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD), land swaps, and purchases, to minimize impacts on agricultural workers while achieving 240,000 to 360,000 acre feet of storage. This bill provides funding for southern water storage, including authorization to bond funds from the Land Acquisition Trust Fund (LATF). The total cost is reduced from $2.4 billion to approximately $1.5 billion, half of which could be paid by the federal government. The bill includes an appropriation of $64 million from the LATF for the 2017-18 Fiscal Year. It clarifies that ongoing Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP) projects will continue to receive funding.This bill establishes the Everglades Restoration Agricultural Community Training Program within the Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) for the purpose of stimulating and supporting training and employment programs, to match state and local training programs, with identified job skills associated with non-agricultural employment opportunities in areas of high agricultural unemployment. This bill establishes a revolving loan fund to provide assistance to local governments and water supply entities for the development and construction of water storage facilities. It also allows for funds not spent on the reservoir projects to be used for other Everglades Restoration projects as provided in Legacy Florida. This bill passed the Senate on Wednesday. For more information on SB 10, click here.

9. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Drop in the bucket, half-hearted attempt.

10. Dawhoo

Dawhoo Well-Known Member

God (or mother nature for those non-religious) created this perfect environment that is able to regulate and fix issues that arise within nature in perfect harmony. ANY attempt to influence this by man-made actions only breaks this delicate cycle. While I do see the possible benefits of the proposed plan, I would have loved to see more effort to simply undo what we have done to cause destruction and let the environment do the job of fixing. This is similar to my profession where we prescribe medications to "treat" the side effects of other medications. Unfortunately development and the required flood control isn't going anywhere so I guess this is the best we can do with compromise.

SomaliPirate and Blue Zone like this.
  11. Blue Zone

Honestly,

I thought this project had already passed through the House. So it's still not done...
    [​IMG]
    Friends,

Last week the Florida Senate passed SB 10, which is an important victory in our fight to protect the Everglades and send water south from Lake Okeechobee.

That was just the first step. Now the bill is heading to the Florida House of Representatives where it faces many road blocks from special interest groups and an army of lobbyists. We’ll need to apply even more pressure to make sure this critical legislation to protect the coastal estuaries, the Everglades, and Florida Bay for decades to come reaches the Governor’s desk.

Click here to send a message to the Florida House of Representatives right now and tell them to pass SB 10 as it is - no delays, no changes.

[​IMG]

SB 10 will accelerate the construction of a reservoir south of Lake Okeechobee to protect the drinking water of 8 million Floridians, preserve the sanctity of the Everglades, reduce the harmful discharges affecting coastal communities, and help Florida Bay. The Florida Legislature needs to understand there’s no more time to waste.

Make your voice heard in Tallahassee. Send a message to the Florida House of Representatives right now and tell them to pass SB 10. It’s #NowOrNeverglades.

Sincerely,
    Eric Eikenberg
    CEO, The Everglades Foundation

The Everglades Foundation
    18001 Old Cutler Road, Suite 625
    Palmetto Bay, FL 33157

12. Dawhoo

Dawhoo Well-Known Member

another email sent. Why is it that some of the emails reject it? Is it automatic if they are from different district?

13. Blue Zone

Matt Caldwell, who is not in my district, sent along the link below:
    http://thefloridachannel.org/videos/22217-house-natural-resources-public-lands-subcommittee/

The Everglades is covered in the first hour; it's informative, depressing and optimistic all at the same time. It's worth investing the time in my opinion; it's good to know that at least some of those people are informed and genuinely concerned.

14. sjrobin

Excluding eminent domain in the bill means no real effective changes. Much smaller water storage area.

15. Blue Zone

That was my thought initially after reading the summary of SB 10. However, as noted in the above-posted committee meeting video the land for the main storage site has already been purchased by the State and is awaiting the Federal funding (their responsibility) for the construction of the site.

I think the only area where eminent domain would come into play is South of 41. Most of that land is either in the ENP or in the hands of the Tribes; I can see it would not be politic to mess with the Tribes. I have run that Loop Road a few times looking for spots to fish (way too many gators) and there are some damn nice houses in there.

16. sjrobin

The sub-committee presentation on the history of Glades alteration was very informative and easy to see how a long history of state government short sighted decisions altered water flows. The agricultural area and it's fifty thousand inhabitants immediately south of Okee should be restored to a sheet water flow habitat. Only strong political will and eminent domain can do this.

17. Blue Zone

18. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

The House signed it ! NOW.... Governor; if you want improved chances to become a Senator.........SIGN THE BILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Zone and sjrobin like this.
  19. Blue Zone

Good point about Scott; there's work to be done in DC as well.

See Sandy's note:
    [​IMG]
    Dear Friends,

We have news from Tallahassee! The Florida Senate and House of Representatives passed Senate Bill 10 yesterday, paving the way for a much needed EAA Reservoir. This was an incredibly important day for the Everglades and the future of Florida's water!

Thanks to people like you - fishing guides, anglers, business owners, homeowners and people from around the country - Florida's legislators heard from the people about why sending water to the EAA reservoir is so important.

Each and every one of you who took the time to sign the Now or Neverglades Declaration and contact elected officials played a part in bringing this legislation so far.

We appreciate the House and Senate working together to create and pass this bill. Now it is headed to Governor Scott's desk. We are so close!

Thank you for all your support and everything you have done to help us protect Florida's water. But our work is not over. This is not the first time the Everglades was declared saved. We must remain vigilant to ensure that the EAA reservoir has enough storage, treatment and conveyance to restore health to our estuaries. Our Now or Neverglades effort is more important than ever, and we can't rest on our laurels until the the water is flowing south.

But today, let's celebrate our historic achievement! YOU made this happen. Thank you.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Islamorada, FL

J Jones likes this.
  20. Blue Zone

So Scott signed the bill today!