ETEC and Garmn NMEA2000

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by tkreitler, Jul 23, 2012.

1. tkreitler

tkreitler I Love microskiff.com!

Does anyone have their ETEC connected to their Garmin through a NMEA 2000 network?

I'm looking at an ETEC 40 and Garming 441S. It looks like I can get RPM, Fuel economy, engine hours, and some other data on the Garmin. I'm just wondering how it works in the real world.

2. tightloops1900

tightloops1900 I Love microskiff.com!

Call this guy he will be able to tell you what you may need, or not need.

Marine electronics engineering
    (727) 459-5593

3. contenderv07

contenderv07 I Love microskiff.com!

X2 I'd like to know about this as well

4. tkreitler

Will - Are you doing ETEC and Garmin on the Copperhead?

5. crl.wms

crl.wms I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 115HO networked to a Garmin 740s. It also has the iCommand gauges which also are NMEA 2000 based.
    There is a bit a extra electronics, like the engine has a fuel memory module, fuel tank sending unit, etc depending on your priorities. I keep 4 little data boxes on my gap screen including speed, water temp, depth and mpg. MPG is the only one that gets engine info. I have to push several menu choices to get to the screen that has engine info - fuel flow gph, rpm, engine temperature, etc. I generally get this info from iCommand only. I set it for engine temp, rpm, water pressure which displays all the time, and trim pops up when I hit the trim switch.
    So, unless mpg is really important to you, iCommand may be best for real world use. Otherwise you will spend all day punching on the gps to switch views around.

6. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

It is very dependent on which FF/chart plotter unit you have. Humminbirds have 3 preset view buttons down to the 700 series. You will need NMEA2K backbone, ff/ chart plotter, and the HB NMEA interface. You could set one preset view button to engine data. Also, on HB's you can hide views so you do not have to rotate through views you do not use.

HDS 8 and 10 have soft keys that can be used in a similar way as the HB prest view buttons. The HDS 5 and 7 do not have this feature.

7. tyler0421

tyler0421 I Love microskiff.com!

Does NMEA work with Yamahas?

8. contenderv07

contenderv07 I Love microskiff.com!

still not sure if I want to do icommand or garmin :-/

9. Cody_F

Cody_F 2012 ankona copperhead 60etec

Go with I command and rethink the 40hp , unless you fish Alone a lot.

10. tkreitler

My goal is to keep it as clean and unobtrusive as possible. Maybe the I command and a separate GPS/sounder is the best route.

I've been on a Copperhead and SUV with two people and each had a 40hp. Both seemed to have sufficient power for my needs.