ETEC 90 vs Tohatsu 90 TLDI

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Apr 24, 2014.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Hey all. I'm not sure if this particular debate has come up before so, if so, feel free to shove me in that direction.

I'm possibly looking to repower in the next year or so and I will likely go with one of these two motors: ETEC 90 or Tohatsu 90 TLDI. I will be replacing a Yamaha 90 2 Stroke which I LOVE. Only reason I'll be replacing is to be risk averse...no particular reason I feel at risk on the water with my Yamaha...just age of motor and want to avoid surprise costs if they come up. So spare me the argument of keeping the Yamaha! I will be keeping it until I'm ready to get the new one.

Anyhow, I was quoted a price of a 90 ETEC of around 10K rigged with gauges, prop, and controls. I know devrep on here got his Hatsu rigged for $7,200 so that's a big price gap.

Would like to get the facts and opinions on both. Begin!

2. mxbeebop

mxbeebop I Love microskiff.com!

The E-tec's lighter by 46lbs, that's fairly substantial.

PS: look out your office window today, you might spot a caimen.

3. rkmurphy

First off, I hate you.

Secondly, the websites show ETEC at 320lbs and Hatsu TLDI at 337lbs. Both are a big jump from my 261lb Yamaha, unfortunately.

4. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I had a hard time getting over the difference between the weight of the old 2 stroke yamahas and any of the new motors. The weight dif between the hatsu and the rude was not that great. The price dif was huge to me. The reputation of Tohatsu sealed the deal. I have great peace of mind with my choice. The rude may have a little more hp though.

5. RTS

RTS I Love microkona.com!

Cover all the bases;

Keep the Yami.

Get TowBoat US or Sea Tow

Have your motor serviced annually by a Yami certified tech.

Do the math.  IMHO, it;s a win, win, win.

Maybe the two Yami tech's on this site will confirm. ;)

My opinion is based on it's a Yami 90 2 smoke, maintained and in good condition which would also be a factor for any resale value. :-/

6. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

My dad has a 90 yamaha 2 stroke that has who knows how many thousands of hours of use. It had a tach/hour meter that died a few years ago with just over 2k hours. As far as I know that motor has never been in the shop for any reason.

Wait for it... He ran the carbs dry after every single use. :p

7. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

funny how you can still buy new Yammie 2 strokes all over the world except for here in the land of the free.

8. mxbeebop

My bad was looking at the 4stroke, you missed out on the 20Kt cold front that blew in.

Here is the Dyno numbers at the shaft REF EPA

E-tec 66.2HP@5000RPM
    TLDI 66.2HP@5500RPM

The E-Tec makes peak power 500 revs lower then the TLDI, this indicates more torque.

9. rkmurphy

Yeah I didn't see you...kept looking for you so I could send a couple of middle fingers your way! haha

Just did some googling and found the dyno info. The max power is measured in kw which can be converted back to HP by multiplying by 1.34103. So, the ETEC actually has 89hp at the propshaft. My Yamaha is turning 83.3hp @ 5000RPM at the shaft. Will definitely be using this tool from now on!

Here's the link for everyone:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/certdata.htm#marinesi

10. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

11. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

darn executive orders! ;D

12. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

Moved for for what reason? Does not seem like a maintenance discussion. No big deal, just wondering and lack of interesting new topics.

13. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is not maintenance discussion.

I had a 90 Yammie 2 stroke and loved it. I would run it as long as you can and save up for a new one later on. You never know what is coming in a few more years. Look at the new Suzuki 4 strokes - they've shed a lot of weight.

I am new to owning an E-Tec, but so far I really like the engine, although I haven't worked on it yet myself. That is something I miss about my 90 Yammie - while I am not a mechanic, I knew it well enough to trouble shoot issues and do some work myself.

14. rkmurphy

Supposedly you get 3 years/300 hours no maintenance with an ETEC. There. Maintenance discussion.

Haha anyhow, thanks for the thoughts everyone. Like I said, I'm in no hurry at the moment. Quite frankly, I'm not even remotely considering doing anything until winter comes back around.

The Zuke 90 is about 20 lbs heavier than the ETEC...but still an option, I suppose. chrisf has a Zuke 60 on his Caimen and that thing is a beast. Also, rode in a Dorado 23 with a 225 Suzuki 4 stroke on it and was very impressed. I will get a quote on that as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keep 'em coming! Personal experience, comparisons, whatever you got!

15. rkmurphy

To piggyback off of my last post, I spoke briefly to a Suzuki dealer...he said he's been having a lot of issues with them AND they are tough to get warranty work out of. I've heard nothing but great things about the Suzuki's until he told me that. Interesting coming from a place that sells them as an authorized dealer...any thoughts?

16. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Keep the Yamaha. It's supposed to be the best outboard in the history of history. Also, one of the best Yamaha guys around is in Tampa: Crackerboy Marine, named Pete. He does a lot of the guides boats and has a supply of parts to last a nuclear fallout.

17. mxbeebop

Have not needed any warranty work or service on my 60 or even heard of an issue and I did tons of internet prowling before pulling the trigger.

Concerned non the less, I stopped in at "Richey Boat and motor" a authorized dealer, and inquired about the Suzuki service. I was told by the owner they were very good. He was aware I was not interested in a purchase.

18. rkmurphy

Yeah that's why I was quite surprised. That 60 on your Caimen is an amazing motor...quite, efficient, and strong. I know you love it and I've heard and read great things elsewhere.

Speaking of the Caimen, when are we fishing again?

19. mxbeebop

After our beating we took last time we need redemption lets do it next weekend!