Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did my 3 year/300 hour for my 90 etec and it was $390. I can dig up the invoice for a breakdown if you'd like

·
Registered
748 Posts
That's about right, but not because it is difficult, that is just the reality of marine service. Seasonality, supply and demand and other business realities don't push or even allow marine mechanics to operate like car mechanics and use high volume/low margin oil changes and regular maintenance to keep you coming until something more profitable breaks and needs attention.
When your work is typically two to three weeks out and maybe even more in season, every low margin/loss leader job you take in displaces much more profitable work from your shop.
It's not dishonest or immoral, but if you learn to do some basic stuff yourself it will save you a ton of time waiting and money spent.

I personally am fairly well qualified to do the first annual maintenance on my ETEC 60 but I'm still paying the dealer to do it. Partly because it is the first service but also because the pick up/drop off from my marina and I want to be able to talk about the service with the tech. I'm going to pay $300 for some things I could do for about $50 and 90 mins of my time...maybe 2 hours considering a learning curve. But I wouldn't get the ECU plugged in and get a report or have someone's eyes on it that sees these things every day to tell me things I would never know to look for. And I can fish this weekend instead of working on the outboard....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,024 Posts
That's about right, but not because it is difficult, that is just the reality of marine service. Seasonality, supply and demand and other business realities don't push or even allow marine mechanics to operate like car mechanics and use high volume/low margin oil changes and regular maintenance to keep you coming until something more profitable breaks and needs attention.
When your work is typically two to three weeks out and maybe even more in season, every low margin/loss leader job you take in displaces much more profitable work from your shop.
It's not dishonest or immoral, but if you learn to do some basic stuff yourself it will save you a ton of time waiting and money spent.

I personally am fairly well qualified to do the first annual maintenance on my ETEC 60 but I'm still paying the dealer to do it. Partly because it is the first service but also because the pick up/drop off from my marina and I want to be able to talk about the service with the tech. I'm going to pay $300 for some things I could do for about $50 and 90 mins of my time...maybe 2 hours considering a learning curve. But I wouldn't get the ECU plugged in and get a report or have someone's eyes on it that sees these things every day to tell me things I would never know to look for. And I can fish this weekend instead of working on the outboard....
$500 every three hrs seems a bit high to me
I'd be selling my boat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had it done in Austin the total was $352 and had 1.6 hours labor.
-Spark Plugs
-Fuel Filter
-Water Pump
-Gear Lube

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just had it done in Austin the total was $352 and had 1.6 hours labor.
-Spark Plugs
-Fuel Filter
-Water Pump
-Gear Lube
Thats a good deal. Although your member name is TX_Salt I assume this is inland and fresh water operation? and if that contributes to the lower cost?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thats a good deal. Although your member name is TX_Salt I assume this is inland and fresh water operation? and if that contributes to the lower cost?
Well, to be honest I had a jack plate and cavitation plate installed at the same time and ended up spending about $2,600 so they ended up with a lot of labor hours. They also changed the water pump by accident so I just paid for parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts