Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the foot for my stiffy guide push pole since the original came off in the mud last weekend. What's best to use to make sure it doesn't come off again? Here are a few I know of... jb weld adhesive, 3m 5200 marine, west systems epoxy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Starbrite makes an epoxy dual-syringe that mixes when you discharge it so the ratio is correct. West Marine makes the same thing but the Starbrite is less than half the cost. I think I paid $9.

I've used it to attach a carbon fiber handle to a carbon fiber shaft on my uncut SUP paddle. You will want use 80 or 120--grit sandpaper to rough up both parts where they attach to each other, epoxy it, and then use masking tape or painters tape to secure it until it fully cures. Just youtube it if that's not clear.

It can't be any easier and at $9 is a no-brainer.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
26 Posts
Use Epoxy. Some thicken the epoxy a bit but not needed. That Six-10 stuff is pre-thickened epoxy and easier to use.

I haven’t had as good long term luck with the 5 minute stuff. It seems to delaminate after a while. Regular cure seems to hold up to heat and abuse.

My $.02

·
Registered
Marquesa
570 Posts
Carbon Marine sends JB Weld in their repair kits. Six-10 is great stuff and in a larger tube for future projects/repairs…. either way you are good

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,489 Posts
Forget everything but JB Weld that's says marine on the carton

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have to replace the foot for my stiffy guide push pole since the original came off in the mud last weekend. What's best to use to make sure it doesn't come off again? Here are a few I know of... jb weld adhesive, 3m 5200 marine, west systems epoxy.
I have had zero problems using west systems 2 part epoxy paste. Surface preparation is important. First clean all surfaces with acetone, then use a broom stick size dowel wrapped with 100 grit sand paper ,for the inside area of the pole , then rough up the foot with 100 grit. Apply epoxy then add some tape to keep the foot in place and wait the full cure time. Simple

·
Registered
59 Posts
Epoxy for sure. My last push pole I used the 60 minute syringe from my local Tru-Value. That pile is still in use

1 - 14 of 14 Posts