Epoxy Filler Advice

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by MariettaMike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I'm planning to use West Systems 610 epoxy to fill in a few scratches/gouges in the bottom of my boat.

Does anybody have any experience with this product to support giving advice on better ways to surface prep, apply the product working overhead, max/min thickness, working time, cleanup, etc...

My main goal is to seal off the transition between the gel coat and the glass without getting epoxy all over the areas around the scratches.

I remember CasaCola advising me to just swipe a credit card across the gouges, but I'm thinking there may be a little more to it. ????

[​IMG]

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Are you going to repaint or just protect the area with epoxy?

There is a way for each.

3. MariettaMike

Just protect for now. The scratches look much larger in the picture than they really are.

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Go to the office supply store and get some transparency sheets.

Squirt a little in the gouge and then take the film and lay it over the putty and smooth it out with a credit card or scraper. The film will cling to the boat and you can spread it real thin so you won't even have to sand.

Just make sure you do not get the anti static ones and you have to use the right side.

PS: if you squirt the epoxy onto something you can tint it to better match your hull.

5. timemachine

timemachine I Love microskiff.com!

Am I missing something? Why use epoxy, which is generally not uv stable, to do a repair of polyester gelcoat? Why not just get some gelcoat?

6. MariettaMike

I guess its because I'm a rookie with no tools or gelcoat experience, the boat is on a trailer that I can barely get under, I don't want to make it look worse than it is by mismatched coloring, and there are less than a half dozen spots where oysters/rocks have gouged through the gelcoat that I would like to "band-aid" until a full restore makes sense.

Most folks would just run it the way it is, with no worries. My concern is that if I slide against an oyster bar or rock in one of those spots that the kevlar layer may get damaged and create an immediate need for a more costly repair.

Thanks for asking.

7. timemachine

timemachine I Love microskiff.com!

The problem with the epoxy is that it can yellow out, becoming an eye sore.

Plus, if you read up on color wheels, and get one of the gelcoat kits with pigments, it's really not hard to get close. One tip is to go very easy with pigment. Squirt out the pigment and add it into the uncatalized gelcoat with the tip of a toothpick.