Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
Not likely as most of us don't fish open waters, but I'm looking to get a PLB soon for nearshore trips and camping.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Have a PLB. Always have it on my boat and take it with me when going on others boats. They are a small expense in comparison to the amount of money we spend on our boat(s), gear, fuel, etc. Well worth the investment.

I plan to pickup a Garmin InReach as well. They also have sos rescue capabilities, but also allow you to send text messages for general communications when out of cell range.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
102 Posts
I have Verizon as a cell provider and in some of the areas I fish there is zero service. Personally I think an epirb or a PLB is cheap insurance......even then I plan on having enough stuff on board to get me through a night in the marsh if the tide demons strike......

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
121 Posts
PLB that goes with me whenever I am on the water. Cell phones don’t always work, and being able to pinpoint my location if I’m in trouble is invaluable to being found quickly.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,821 Posts
Yes, I have the ACR ResQLink+ PLB -- it saved my life and 4 others on my boat over 4 years ago. Small enough to fit in your pocket and <$300 for a battery guaranteed for 5 years. It's a no brainer for me. I bring it with me on offshroe trips even when the boat has an EPIRB. I bring it on my flats boat, and I'll bring it on my skiff.

It's too cheap not to have, and if you ever need it, there's no amount of money you wouldn't pay to have it. I can not stress enough how amazing this technology is. We were 70 miles away from Charleston CG with a boat that was completely gone (no debris, even) and we were in the water for less than an hour. Unbelievable.

To put in perspective - a boat capsized and didn't even sink 12 miles off our coast not too much later, and they floated for over 14 hours before being found. Another boat sank at the jetties and they only recovered one body days later. 70 miles is un-find-able territory, especially if it's just 5 heads bobbing in 4 ft waves with no boat, and we were in the water for mere minutes.

Get the PLB. It has one function, and it does it well.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I have an ACR ResqLink and have it lanyarded to my person when I’m running solo. Since I’m just running the backcountry of the Everglades the main reason I have it is in case of a medical emergency with one of my anglers... Once that device goes off they’ll have that big chopper on top of you in about 20 minutes where I am...

As far as that missing boat goes - they’ve suspended the search, so they’re probably lost... UPDATE...heard on the radio today they extended the search one more day....

Some hard truths here. There are quite a few hulls
around that won’t float if they take on water - and if you have a nice inner liner, your first sign of trouble will be wet feet and all too quickly you’re swimming with hardly time to even get a PFD on.

A few things most don’t think about might just save you if you have to be in the water long term... The first is your cooler - it will float forever and hold the freshwater you’re really going to need, plus it will a lot easier for searchers to see than one or more heads in the water.... Lastly and maybe just as important is a piece of rope to tie yourselves together and to that cooler...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
128 Posts
So a friend of mine went to school with the guys that went missing, and one of their wives. This really brought the, “It will never happen to me”, situation home for me. Way to close for comfort. I usually have 1000+ bucks worth of rods/reels in the boat, not to mention all that other tackle stuff, plus the boat and all it’s gotta haves... but no personal location devices at all. Sure I have flares, like 4 of them, a couple Mylar blankets and a whistle, but no $300-ish piece of equipment that would pretty much guarantee my rescue if I got in a jam. Geesh. That’s going to change. If I ever need it, which I may not, but if I do, I’m pretty sure I’d trade ALL that other stuff to be at home in my warm bed, under the covers and waking up to breakfast and a warm cup of coffee. Man I hope they find those guys beyond all odds.

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
121 Posts
I have an ACR ResqLink and have it lanyarded to my person when I’m running solo. Since I’m just running the backcountry of the Everglades the main reason I have it is in case of a medical emergency with one of my anglers... Once that device goes off they’ll have that big chopper on top of you in about 20 minutes where I am...

As far as that missing boat goes - they’ve suspended the search, so they’re probably lost...

around that won’t float if they take on water - and if you have a nice inner liner, your first sign of trouble will be wet feet and all too quickly you’re swimming with hardly time to even get a PFD on.

A few things most don’t think about might just save you if you have to be in the water long term... The first is your cooler - it will float forever and hold the freshwater you’re really going to need, plus it will a lot easier for searchers to see than one or more heads in the water.... Lastly and maybe just as important is a piece of rope to tie yourselves together and to that cooler...
This. Unfortunately most people fall under that “it can’t happen to me” mindset when just a little preparation can make a huge difference when crap really happens. I would much rather over prepare a million times than have that one moment when I go “oh crap”. I 100% agree you need to have some type of rope prepped to tie everyone together, the easiest way to give up is be alone and despair ruins your future, if you’re in a group it’s amazing how much of a difference it will make to keep everyone fighting to stay strong. Only thing I recommend is to have one of those bungee type of lines, if someone goes under it will stretch and allow you time to cut loose. Horrible to think, but when you’re in a life threatening situation you have to be realize your adrenaline will be going a million miles a minute and you WILL need extra time to cope with the situation.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts

As far as that missing boat goes - they’ve suspended the search, so they’re probably lost...

Most hulls will sink, some just faster than others, especially in heavy ocean current as all the "water tight" hatches, cowlings, and compartments fill with water. Boston Whaler's with lighter two cycles were the only exception, maybe with the heavy four cycles

·
You got to get burned to learn
458 Posts
If I do ever make the trip down to ENP or go offshore i will get a resqlink but every dayfishing I keep a VHF radio on me with a DSC that uses GPS to track my location. I know I am in range most every where I go but if i ever needed to go out of range then the PLB is a must.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
RES Q Link PLB for me and it's always on my boat. I try to bring it if I go on someone else's boat it I don't know they have one of their own.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
102 Posts

As far as that missing boat goes - they’ve suspended the search, so they’re probably lost... UPDATE...heard on the radio today they extended the search one more day....

Hats off to you for this kind of forward thinking.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This. The everglades. It’s where I like to fish too. But I imagine there have to be other places in Florida with zero reception. Skiff only has one engine...sold...I’m getting an epirb!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I’d have a sat phone if the cost wasn’t prohibitive...
Most days we’re 20 to 30 miles or more from the ramp at Flamingo so you do have to think about the possibilities... Many of my anglers are my age and older (I’m just a kid at 71...).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I highly reccomend Garmin In-Reach Sat Messenger. Very reasunable, pay by the month plans. Unlimited standard messages, so you can ping loved ones to say you are OK, running late, etc. Texting is cheap. Construction seems more robust than SPOT. I also have an Epirb/PLB, but that is no use putting family at ease when you are running late, etc.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts