Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These blemish kits were selling for $250 the other day. There is some color variation down around the winding check but unless you owned one that wasn't a blemish I very seriously doubt anyone would be able to see why it was on sale. I'm a sucker for anything more than 30% off.

The box it ships in doubles are a rod stand to wrap the guides. Grab a bobbin out of your tying kit and you're ready to go. Nothing else is needed. When it comes time to dry the rod just set a little timer and turn it 180 degrees every 10-15 minutes for about an hour. Then turn it every 20-30 minutes for another hour or two. You don't need a dryer.

Normally I'd skip the kit because it's cheaper and more fun for me to gather up my own components but I needed a birthday present for a friend and this worked out well. Here are a few observations...

The guide set seems to be nice. Snake brand snake guides are ready to wrap without any grinding.

The reel seat is similar to an alps triangle seat but without a locking ring. The cork is smooth and the fighting butt actually fits properly unlike some rods I've seen.

All the little things you need to wrap are included. No need to buy $25 worth of epoxy for one rod.

And of course the coolest rod tube in the business.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Man, that sounds awesome -- did you get it from the Epic website or does somewhere else sell them too?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yea that really do a good job with their kits, I typically swap out the strippers but use the Snake Brand for almost everything. That is their newer tube and is way better than the sleeve tube they used to send. Great stuff all around and will be a great stick when you are done!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The single stripping guide on this rod is a hardwire guide. There are other guides that may perform a little better but I think these look cool so I like to use them when I can. I was happy to see this one included with the kit.

I think we missed out... the Epic website says sold out :(
It's one of those places you have to watch close for sales. If you sign up for their mailing list they will send you notices of blemish sales and other special deals. I've also noticed if you let an item sit in your shopping cart for long enough they will start sending you discount codes for 15% off. The shipping is pretty brutal though. I try to buy several blanks at once so I don't end up paying $30 per rod to ship.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The snake guides included in the kit make things easy. Not sure I'd pay $3 a piece for them but for the purposes of this kit they are really nice. Not having to file and polish guide feet simplify things. The kit shipped with natural and black silk spools and there is enough prokote paste and thread finish in the kit to do a couple rods.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought a 686 kit last year when they did the blem sale. It's a great rod for the price and the kit is fun to build even for a very novice builder (it was my second rod). I'm not a big fan of glass rods and it takes a while to adjust my stroke every time I pick up the 686, but it's the only rod I've fished that can throw large-ish topwater flies for snook and small tarpon without taking the fun out of catching smaller fish. I use it in the Glades anytime the wind allows. I've even used it for streamer fishing in Colorado.

I used a few parts and pieces from the kit, but changed out a few things to suit my personal preference (REC Recoils, a modified Ritz grip, and double up-locking anodized seat with a cork insert).

I tried a bunch of lines and settled on the Cortland Guide in #5 and #6. The #5 keeps the rod light and lively with smaller flies and the #6 carries larger flies well without overloading the rod. I also found that a heavier reel makes the 686 much easier to cast all day. Right now I have a Tibor Everglades on it and it's about perfect.

181231WinterTrip-34.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts