Engine wash out?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by OffShoreSkiff, Jun 19, 2010.

1. OffShoreSkiff

OffShoreSkiff I Love microskiff.com!

I got the wiring issue fixed on the boat so I went fishing this morning. Or attempted to. Put the boat in, started fine. Proceeded to the bridge appx 1/2 mile away to get bait. She ran beautiful all the way there. Put it in neutral threw the net twice and got bait. Took 10 minutes. Started heading back to the inlet and at 4000 rpms it seemed to wash out. The engine just revved up and it wouldnt go over 15mph. Idles fine in gear and neutral.

Any ideas as to what would cause this.??

Needless to say I didnt fish, idled back to the ramp and took her home washed her off and flushed the engine.

2. OffShoreSkiff

2004 50hp Honda 4-stroke

3. OffShoreSkiff

Thought about that. I changed the prop on the water. Or is it in the engine that would be damaged??

4. jimbarn1961

jimbarn1961 GOT FEESH?

Do u know for sure newly installed prop is good? if so ur probably moving up to the gearcase/lower unit next. :'(

Spun hub much cheaper then having to open that girl up to fix.

5. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's in "safety mode".

6. jimbarn1961

jimbarn1961 GOT FEESH?

If it is going into safe mode, shouldn't there be a buzzer or light involved? and I thought safe mode only allows sub 2000rpm to limp back on? I'm just a laymen that has been involved in some safe mode situations with different outboards over the years, So i could be wrong.

Keep us posted though

7. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

its either a spun hub or you have it mounted to high. that is if the motor runs good. when a gearcase goes bad it goes bad. as in zero movement. so its not that

8. OffShoreSkiff

Its acting exactly like its to high out of the water. But I have not changed the height ever.

9. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Ok so you didn't change the motor height ever, But what did you change? Did you move weight foward? where is your livewell and does this only happen after it is filled? did you change the trim angle, or try different trim angles?

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Bent prop blade will ventilate at lower rpms... :-?

11. OffShoreSkiff

Have not changed a thing. been fishing a number of times. All the same scenerio each time. Same weight, everything.

I have three props, the engine washes out at the same RPM with all.

I have not had a chance to get by the boat since the issue, but I need to chaeck the fluid level first. Also going to call the mechanic tonight and see what he says.

12. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

if you've swapped out 3 props and she's still doing the same thing it would be safe i think to rule those out :-/

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

When you say "washes out",
    do you mean that she won't rev any higher than 4000 rpm under load?

14. OffShoreSkiff

It will rev as high as the engine allows. Just at about 4000 rpm and/or 15mph it will not go any faster. Will continue to rev up as well. Its acting like its not in the water enough anymore.

I checked the oil today is was right at the height of the "check level" screw. And it looks clean. Have not drained it.

15. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I've never run into your problem before,
    where it wasn't related to loss of power,
    a spun hub, ventilation or a bad prop.
    I've had total loss of thrust twice,
    once a sheared drive shaft the other
    a worn clutch dog. Let us know what your
    mechanic diagnoses the problem as.

:-[

16. firecat1981

What kind of motor is it again? Where do you normally run the boat and where have you been testing it?

17. OffShoreSkiff

50hp honda 2004

salt & fresh water. But salt on the latest trip.

I am headed to the lake tonight to try it again and see what happens, going to try and call the mechanic while i am testing it so he can hear what is going on. Will go from there,

18. firecat1981

Is the motor studdering at that point? when I was having blowout I noticed a big difference between fresh and salt water. Were you running a chop, or smooth water? How long have you had the boat?

19. OffShoreSkiff

I have had it for 2 months. Put about 10-15 hrs on it. It was 4am. Water was glass, no wind. Nothing was different than any other time i have fished. The day I test drove it i had 4 adults in it and it planed fine. And I always fish SOLO.

Im on my way now to test it at the lake. May take a video and try to upload it.